My 125 Gallon Reef Build

TxSkyGuy

Got about 70lbs more of live rock, and re aquascaped the entire tank (hopefully for the last time)

Pro tip: if you want it to look this good, get your wife to stand back and tell you where to put the rocks.

b8ae5b37cbb94a25c0a4a246b8024d39.jpg

34099f1718c7d7d570ff0c5ad79a32e8.jpg

28933367a20d7400573386c6c25bc270.jpg

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

Went lights out for a day, and cleaned up the sandbed to correct a diatom bloom, also turned down my lighting and added some snails. My Acropora has started bleaching itself, so I moved it slightly down.

Ive got dual 4 bulb HO T5's, with actinic blues, and 10k whites, also blue led moonlights. Any recommendations on times on and off for them?

Also, just found a cool little hitchhiker, it looks like a Paly to me?

a0f615d37fa1621a59abaeb6e0ecf42e.jpg

Usually its all trumpeted out.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Grats on the hitch hiker paly. You may want to keep an eye on it, I had one, it since spread and started taking out my sps, lost almost my whole pink birds best colony before I noticed. Now consumes a prime location. Will be Destroying them during the next water change

334a5917509ba1120b77e2efd380e916.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Grats on the hitch hiker paly. You may want to keep an eye on it, I had one, it since spread and started taking out my sps, lost almost my whole pink birds best colony before I noticed. Now consumes a prime location. Will be Destroying them during the next water change

334a5917509ba1120b77e2efd380e916.jpg

I'd be very careful removing those palys. Honestly, if they are on one rock only, I'd take the whole rock out and dry it out in the sun to cook them off. Personally, I'd just throw the rock away, not worth it.

Whatever you do, don't boil the rock, and don't scrape them in the tank. Do wear eye protection and gloves. They look like Texas Trash Palys and are known to have palytoxin, the 2nd deadliest toxin known to man.

You could kill your entire tank scraping them in the tank. Someone did that a couple years back and lost most of his fish and corals.

Or you could send yourself and your dog to the ER and pay thousands in hospital bills... I did that early this year, though from a different paly.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/index.php?/topic/36543-Palytoxin---My-Experience-With-It

I was going to pull the rock during the water change and scrape it in a 5 gallon bucket to limit the toxin exposure to the tank, but I guess just dryin and sun baking the rock works too. Completely open to suggestions

I think the Palys look cool, and the rock it is on is small, i only had it planned for gsp. But is it worth the trouble of dealing with the palytoxin?

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

I was mainly responding to Bfrench's texas trash paly rock. For yours, it appears to be what people generically call a button polyp, which has been associated with palytoxin as well.

Actually, the infamous story of the guy and his wife that had to go to the ER was because he cooked his rocks, literally boiled them in a pot in the kitchen to kill off probably the same type of button polyps that your hitchiker is. After my experience with palytoxin, I don't think it's worth it but I'm obviously biased.

So I was sitting watching the tank today after work, and a started looking at all the little tube fan worm things I have growing in it, theres like 17 of the little buggers, just waving around in the current. Its pretty cool.

Also my diatom bloom seems to be subsiding, i have switched to only rodi water for top off and changes, as well as cut my light time down a bunch. I went from actinics 7am-11pm, and 10k 8am-10pm, LED moons from 10pm-7am and cut the times to actinics 8am-10pm, 10k 10am-2pm, and moons from 10pm-8am.

My monti is looking great, the zoas are good, and acro is meh, but my hammer is looking alot less bubbly...especially when only the actinics are on.

So any better ideas on lighting, should I bump the 10ks up another hour or two?

I run my halides for 5 hrs, blue plus for 8 hrs, actinics for 8.5 and LEDs for 10hrs.

Your tank needs darkness. Running your lights for so long your asking for algae problems. Even the moon lights.

IMO your running your lights twice as long as you should across the board.

Added a few things to the tank today I was able to snag from a neighbor off the free section. Ill have to take some pics in the morning, but I got a sweet blue mushroom, a leather coral, some zoas (eagle eye? I think?) A conch, an emerald crab, a hermit crab, and a few snails.

Also lucked out and got a reef lobster we couldn't get off of a live rock.

• 3 months later...

Archived