Alveopora

FarmerTy

It grows like a giant ball so the diameter makes it more difficult to cut with just a dremel disc. With recent reclassification, the alveopora is actually considered more closely related to acropora than goniopora (flowerpot). Blew my mind when I read this.

Convergent evolution showcased at its best in nature! It's got the look of goniopora but without the inherent difficulties that gonis are known for. It's super hardy, at least in my experience, and tolerates a lot of conditions.

Interesting, thanks for sharing that. Maybe I'll try one in the future. My tank is a blank slate and I have a few months to research different corals. There isn't much real estate so I'll have to choose carefully. book.gif

I think I could dump all 200+ frags in my frag tank right now and it wouldn't even make a dent in your tank. [emoji6]

Haha but they grow!

Right now I've got ugly tank syndrome. The nitrates are probably around 15. I couldn't put any frags in there even if they were free. Hopefully I get the skimmer set up to clear some of that out. All that's left is to plumb the return line.

WOW! No one has ever accused me of having great equipment or skill! Wait ... Ty, he must have been talking to you...nopity.gif

That leads to a great question, is it better in reefing to have great equipment, or great reef keeping skills? If you could only have one, which one is more important? [emoji4]

An average person with great equipment can get lucky, but a skilled person with average or old equipment will succeed. Let's think about the protein skimmer. People had great tanks before skimmer, but they were the most skilled aquarists. The invention of the skimmer helped people less skilled be successful in the hobby. What happens when the skimmer goes out? A skilled aquarist will survive and the less skilled will suffer.

Do you know what's not taken into account? The willingness to succeed. One could argue that the people more willing to succeed are also the most skilled because of their desire. Every ugly tank on CL is a testament to the amount of tanks abandoned for one reason or another. Are they skilled and unwilling or are they unskilled and defeated?

Archived