Slicing live rock

pabloescolar

Hey all,

Has anyone ever tried to slice live rock with a hacksaw or otherwise? I tried using a couple different types of hand saws this weekend but was not very successful. If anyone has been able to cross section a rock without exploding it, let me know what your technique was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a miter saw on Fiji live rock and it worked really well. I tried it on a harder rock which was about 5" thick and it took about 30 minutes and I nearly burned up the blade.

I used a miter saw on Fiji live rock and it worked really well. I tried it on a harder rock which was about 5" thick and it took about 30 minutes and I nearly burned up the blade.

In general any saw cutting rock needs to be cooled, water cooled. Your typical mitersaw and water dont mix at all. If you have a lot to do try renting a tile saw or even a gas powered concrete saw. Be careful with the latter.

Tinkered with this and holey limestone back in the African days. Never worked out at well as I wanted but came close :)

I'm going to try the rod saw blade first and see how that goes. I've worked with power tools a lot doing wood working, and the material aspects of rock makes me nervous about throwing it into a mechanical blade. I want my future updates to be typed with all my current fingers ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my table saw best but on dry live rock not live. Live means wet. I use a 50 tooth carbide finish blade. Much faster cut than the masonry blade which I have also used. Quality live rock is not very hard or dense. But there will be a lot of dust!

Archived