Ionic Imbalance

Kevin S.

What was your usage of Ca/day?

If you're using up 1dKh/day, why are you dosing 132ml of alk? Or do you mean you're losing 1dKh/day while dosing the previously calculated 88ml/day of alk we determined you needed to dose to keep up with your corals demand?

I really think you should cut dosing back to alk 4 times a day max and Ca 2 times a day max. Dosing larger volumes is going to allow you to dial your doser in better. I would just keep the swings to less then .40 dkh. Even with you tank fairly well stocked I still have a gut feeling your overdosing.

I would also recommend some larger dosing volumes per day instead of the 12x/day. Maybe cut it down to 4x like Reburn suggested.

My 215-gallon eats up about 2dKh/day and with your water ratio to SPS/clam mass, I don't think it's too out of the norm if you're using more than 1dKh/day.

Just for clarification, you are dosing 88ml/day of alk, and you're still losing 1dKh/day? So if you weren't dosing at all, you'd be losing 2.3dKh/day?

My first consumption test I concluded that I used 88 ml a day -

"I did a 30g water change Sunday morning and tested late that afternoon my Kh was 7.3.

I waited 24 hrs and did the KH test again at the same time with a Salifert kit and got a KH of 6."

So I set my dose to 88 ml over a 24 hr period. (12 doses of 11 ml over 24hrs.) But it still continued to drop a full 1 KH a day. So I raised it to 132 ml over a 24 hr period, but It still continues to drop 1 KH a day.

So I guess I will try doing larger doses instead of spreading it out over such a large period of time.

Check your doser that it's not loosing prime. You should have fluid in the dosing heads at all times. It should immediately start pushing fluid out. When was the last time you replaced your tubes.

Check your doser that it's not loosing prime. You should have fluid in the dosing heads at all times. It should immediately start pushing fluid out. When was the last time you replaced your tubes.

Reburn brings up a good point. Have you actually checked that it's dosing that much a day? Try dosing it to an empty measuring cup to test it?

Archived