Kessil - AP700

renman303

Just wondering if anyone in ARC has the new Kessil AP700? I need to replace my Maxspect Razors as they are POS's. However, I noticed that the AP700 is set for a 4'x2' tank? Just wondering how detrimental this would be on a 6'x2' tank? What do you guys/gals think of a bit less light in the far ends? I thought it might be fine as long as no SPS were there? Probably still plenty of light for mushrooms and the like?...

http://www.kessil.com/aquarium/Saltwater_AP700.php

Dave

Just wondering if anyone in ARC has the new Kessil AP700? I need to replace my Maxspect Razors as they are POS's. However, I noticed that the AP700 is set for a 4'x2' tank? Just wondering how detrimental this would be on a 6'x2' tank? What do you guys/gals think of a bit less light in the far ends? I thought it might be fine as long as no SPS were there? Probably still plenty of light for mushrooms and the like?...

http://www.kessil.com/aquarium/Saltwater_AP700.php

Dave

You should PM Good Greef. He just bought one a month ago.

Jimbo,

I appreciate the feedback...If that's true then the AP700 is actually the best deal. Per Amazon.com, the A360WE is right at $400/ea. That would put it at $800 and you would still need to buy a controller. The Kessil Spectral Controller is $100. So, I think the pricing is the same? You just have a single package vs individual lights. Also, the AP700 is controllable from an iPad or computer or phone. I guess my biggest concern is the coverage over 6' in length?

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=kessil+a360we&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=30047937327&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9363103590816077404&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1wggrsyl6o_b

Renman,

Theres a lot of other feedback if you search Reefcentral forums, but ill give you my take.

I have a standard 75g, 48×18×21 and currently have it mounted 8-9 inches from the surface of the water. On the left and right edges (so at the 48'mark), on the sandbed, I have a monti cap and digitata. Both have pronounced white growth rings and tips. The monti cap frag I got a month ago at Aquadome and it had no white growth when I brought it home.. will a high light acropora grow at those edges, I do not know yet. But Kessil states that at 7-8 inches coverage should be 36×24. Im getting coverage all 48, but "coverage" is all relative.

That being said, I initially had them hanging from plant hangers at 15-17' since my tank is 48', but what I found was due to my 18' depth there was way too much light spillover on the front and sides also.

So to answer your question IMO only, on a 72 inch tank mounted at 15' above, you will probably be able to grow any sps coral at 36x24, LPS at 60x24, softies at the edges of 72x24?

Again, all anecdotal. If you mount it high enough it will light up your whole tank, darker on the 6' edges on both sides, but not sure how bright you want it across the ful

And commenting on that reef2reef thread, all I can say is that it will take time for anyone to have strong convictions on what may work or not.

But to say its simply the a360we is just oversimplification imo. But again, less shading (improved lenses), better color spectrum, ability to get intensity <20% for sunrise/sunset and the eventual mobile software are a few of the reasons the ap700 is supposed to be better, but only time will tell.

Then again, A360s are still going for 400 each x2 =800 + 100 (spectral controller) = 900. Thats already more than I paid for one Ap700 which looks sleeker, no cordage, and will be the where Kessils future updates and R and D will cater to.

052c4020ad87df5627476cbe7febf78e.jpg

The thing is...it's not just two a360 units. I read that being tossed around on reef central a lot too. They're completely redesigned. There are more diodes in the chip, more power, different color layout, the chip is larger, so the lens is larger, the reflector is different. I mean that's pretty much everything that CAN be different. It's a different product not just a combination. Upgrades were done and you get a more powerful unit for cheaper than the sum of two prior gen units. Whether they'll grow acros real well who knows. It's brand new. I don't own one. I wouldn't use just one on a 48" sps dominant tank, let alone one on a 72" tank. Two over a 72" tank with 4x60 watt t5ho supplements would be nice. Or a single unit over a 48" tank with 4x54 watt t5ho supplements would be terrific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived