Need help fine tuning a skimmer

LarryD

so I have had this reef octopus ns-80 up and running for a week or so and it is definitely pulling skimmate but it is pretty wet, how do I go about getting it to run a little better? I have control of the out flow do I need to reduce flow rate or increase it?

If your trying to make less skimmate, you can ususlly raise the skimmer cup if this is an option, let in less air, or increase water flow. Im not skimmer pro though, might be something to play with. Im sure others will have better input

so I have had this reef octopus ns-80 up and running for a week or so and it is definitely pulling skimmate but it is pretty wet, how do I go about getting it to run a little better? I have control of the out flow do I need to reduce flow rate or increase it?

When you have control of outflow only you increase the outflow to produce a dry skim (darker color / less volume)

>~)))smile.png >

So I increased the flow rate out of the skimmer a little bit and it greatly reduced the amount of skimmate produced, the skimmate is darker but I don't know if I will ever be able to get the gunky dark stuff you guys get since there is so little in the tank.

So I increased the flow rate out of the skimmer a little bit and it greatly reduced the amount of skimmate produced, the skimmate is darker but I don't know if I will ever be able to get the gunky dark stuff you guys get since there is so little in the tank.

True: And you are using an 80 gal rated skimmer on a 10 G tank? That could strip that tank down pretty bare if running 24/7. Could run a pretty heavy bio load in a tank that small with a skimmer that size.

True: And you are using an 80 gal rated skimmer on a 10 G tank? That could strip that tank down pretty bare if running 24/7. Could run a pretty heavy bio load in a tank that small with a skimmer that size.

I think the 80 in the name is a pump rating, the skimmer is rated for up to 25 gallons.

So the amount of skimmate in the cup has been reduced but it is darker, I have also noticed that I have not had to clean my glass all week and what little growth there was on the glass appears to be fading.

Archived