Please Help!! Ich

Cwg14

So as some of you know I got a foxface I attempted quarantine but I was doing 50% water changes a day and the ammonia was still at .25 I could not get it down and was going broke on salt for water changes (I used a quarter of the huge buckets in a week) and using an unhealthy amount of ammonia neutralizer the fish seamed fine and has been at the store for a year . Now after being in my tank for two days it's color is beautiful and it's so happy and an amazing fish one little problem I noticed white spots it has ich!!!! I've had ich in a freshwater tank and in a week every fish was dead I'm convinced ich is the root of all evil . I need advice on what to do my quarantine is still running but has ammonia and honestly prob was reason fish was stressed but if I leave it in display I can't treat cause I have a ton of snails and a shrimp I love so what do I do next ? Any answers will help cause I'm terrified right now I can't lose my whole tank again:(

First, i would suggest testing your new saltwater before you add it to see what the ammonia level is. I would also suggest testing frequently but not do daily water changes. Ammonia is an important food (nitrogen) source for many organisms and I would find it very unusual you still have an ammonia probelm. I think you may need to look differently at what is happening with your cycle. Also, fish do not like it but an ammonia level of .25 won't kill most of the fish we keep.

As far as ich, low salinity is probably the easiet way to treat fish in you quarantine tank (do not do this in display tanks). I prefer UV sterilizors but it isimportant to get the right size and install it correctly to maximise the kill rate (search my username and the term UV sterilizor to read more on this). Keep in mind there are different strains of ich, some more virulent than others, and the cysts have the potential of surviving up to 10 or 11 weeks and still release larval parasites so care must be taken to prevent reinfection.

I would suggest that if you were using a binding agent for ammonia like Prime or others you are most likely registering a false ammonia reading as this is quite common once these products are added. Get that fish back in quarantine and treat along with any other fish it has exposed in the DT

I did a test and realized it was the ammonia neutralizer I thought that it meant it would still show the ammonia in the tank but it wouldn't be harmful I didn't realize that it meant it will make ammonia high when their is none oops . I tested my main water and it is perfectly fine I put it back in quarantine and I'm beginning hypo salinity thanks for the replies :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived