Tank on hardwood floor

olaggie01

I'm considering putting a 50g tank in my office which has hardwood floors. My wife and I are concerned with the water warping the floors however as in the past all of my tanks have been on tile floors. I have had my share of accidents over the years and a flood or two. I have my ro/di and saltwater mixing outside so no floods from that.

My thought is to raise the stand up a few inches off the ground with feet on the corners to allow me to clean up any drops. Also, I'll seal the inside of the stand to keep any leaks contained. Lastly, I'll install a water module on my Apex to let me know if something is leaking.

Any other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a quick search, this one has been discussed a few times here and there were many good tips, but in recap:

If you're talking real hardwood it can be sanded or refinished if you have leaks and damage the floor. If it's laminate, water getting in the seams can make it swell, ruining the floor (this happened in my last house). You can somewhat mitigate this by using a seam sealer to keep water out.

Just lifting the tank off the floor isn't enough, salt water that evaporates will leave salt... which attracts water. You have to make sure you can fully clean up all traces of a leak and not just the water. Many advice having a leak tray under the stand.

Thanks Mike. I'll do a search as well but thank you for the recap. I was on my phone at the time and didn't want to search Tapatalk.

No worries, mainly pointing out that I know the topics exist. Here are some threads, but feel free to continue discussion about your situation here.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/20732-protecting-floors-from-salt-water/

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/34564-wood-floor-metal-stands

I have mine on laminate and it seems like the water would have to be on the floor a long time to leach underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal experience actually wasn't a tank leaking, but rather a dog who kept wetting in the same spot. And yes, it didn't happen the first, second, or even third time. But if you leave water standing on a seam it will soak in and cause the filler material to swell. Over time the seams swell and actually rise, revealing what look like large cracks.

If you have laminate, it's worth the $30 or so to buy seam sealer and apply it preventatively.

Archived