Very new to saltwater hobby and hello ARC!

jop

Hello everyone I recently started the great hobby of saltwater fish keeping. My first tank is a 29g freshwater system with chiclids in it. In the start of July I started up a 75g saltwater system. I am also quite young in my opinion but I wanted to start young so I could learn more along the way. My saltwater tank is going to be mainly LPS corals and easy to keep fish.

I have 50 pounds of live rock in the tank

1 yellow eyed tang

1 coral beauty (it has been not swimming lately and rarely eating I could use some help please)

6 conches

5 blue legged hermit crabs ( going to add 5 more)

3 snails

1 banded coral shrimp

1 Xenia

1 bubble coral that I'm pretty sure is dying

88683edc4e86ca2626f37c0e17ac9dde.jpg

That is a picture of my tank right now

a8ec53f3a2446f01ede9ca0f543c0c9f.jpg

Here is the bubble coral which doesn't look so good

34d70da425edff19448e7394f6e672bd.jpg

(Sorry for the low quality) that's my Xenia and is the white in it normal?

I have an eshopps-800 overflow box

Eshopps-wd100 sump

Mag 7 return pump

I can't remember my lighting but when I get home I can tell

And a coralife super skimmer 65

I probably missed a bunch of stuff to mention but i could use some advice from some advanced reefers that know what they are doing, I can't wait to get more advanced in the hobby and learn so many things! And thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest not getting any more crabs and sticking with the snails if you want something different you could do a tiger tail sea cucumber or a tuxedo urchin. White Xenia is normal and if not watched could take over a tank if allowed to. The light looks like t5 but the picture makes it seem kind of dim so your bubble coral might not be getting much light, you might try moving it around a bit to see if it likes somewhere better.

I put the bubble coral in a very shady spot that I doesn't have a lot of flow, I had it at he right sided the tank with direct light before but I started to "deflate" and I'm pretty sure it Skelton was showingg

I put the bubble coral in a very shady spot that I doesn't have a lot of flow, I had it at he right sided the tank with direct light before but I started to "deflate" and I'm pretty sure it Skelton was showingg

I will admit I have never kept a bubble coral so my suggestion is do a bit of research on placement for them and make sure you have it in a suitable, while it is possible something else is wrong with it placement is the easiest to work with typically. What are your parameters like?

Honesty I haven't tested since I added the skimmer but i can test it on Sunday and I'm going to be doing a 20% water change on Sunday as well

My salinity was at 1.020 but I'm tipping off with saltwater right now.

My ph was at 7.7 on Wednesday

The ph is at the lower end of what most people want to see but my tank runs about 7.9 without trouble. You definitely want to bring up the salinity to around 1.025. I would test as soon as you can because that could be causing the problem with both the bubble coral and the coral beauty.

Topping off with salt water is probably the safest way to slowly bring up the salinity but make sure you check it routinely so that you don't go to far. For mixing I typically do it by weight but as long as you check the salinity while mixing it either method will work.

One more thing,

My skimmer is in sump and the return pump is above water and has the bubble diffuser box on it.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the bubble output? I have a sponge on the intake and I am dry skimming

Welcome wave.gif

You started the tank in July? Have you had a full cycle yet? I'm thinking that you haven't because the rocks are so green. I'm sorry to tell you that I think your corals and fish are dying. Coral Beauty Angels are generally considered "beginner or starter" fish because they can normally tolerate worse water conditions than other fish. If you have fish that doen't swim or eat and corals that show their skeletons then you have a water quality issue.

Welcome wave.gif

You started the tank in July? Have you had a full cycle yet? I'm thinking that you haven't because the rocks are so green. I'm sorry to tell you that I think your corals and fish are dying. Coral Beauty Angels are generally considered "beginner or starter" fish because they can normally tolerate worse water conditions than other fish. If you have fish that doen't swim or eat and corals that show their skeletons then you have a water quality issue.

+1 Did you start with live rock or dry rock.? If you started with live rock you may have cycled. But if you started with dry rock you needed to start and complete the nitrogen cycle prior to putting any living creature in the water. Read here.

http://www.marinedepot.com/cycle-an-aquarium-ap.html

You need to test for Ammonia Nitrites as well as foundation elements

Andre'

Archived