Randomizing flow and jebao RW-4 power heads

LarryD

so how important is it to have a more random flow? Right now I have a ten gallon tank with a rio 200 on the hob fuge and a Koralia 240 power head shooting across the front glass. Should I look to get more random flow, should I get more flow?

Also has anyone had any experience with the jebao RW-4 power heads? The internet seems undecided on if they would be to much for a ten gallon tank (turned down low obviously) or if they are just right. I like that they are controllable so in theory I could pulse or gently ramp up and down.

I've had more than a few nanos that ran just fine with the return and a koralia 240.

....that being said I'd never go back from controllable powerheads. If you haven't yet, check out at the jebao wp-10. I think it would suit your needs perfectly. imo as long as your sand isn't blowing around, you can never have too much flow. I wouldn't go any larger on jebaos though. bigger model powerheads look giant in small tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the difference between the rw series and the Wp?

The RW's are the upgraded WP's. Slightly smaller footprint and slightly better controller. If you put either in a wave mode and get back and forth movement, in any direction, you should be fine. You just don't want to set up a pump for completely 1 directional flow if possible.

The rw-4 has a slightly lower minimum flow rate than the wp10 so if I do end up getting one I will probably get that one. Would a pulse or a ramp have a controllable flow rate and would they be a suitable flow pattern. Plus I can't have a very big wave form because I will splash water on the floor.

No, but you can just get a UPS for a computer and run it off that. I run both of mine off an APC UPS. Costs less than the vortech battery backup and has way more capacity. Can also use the other non-battery outlets as a surge protector if you aren't using a controller.

The one I use is a Back-UPS Pro 1500VA, but even one of the smaller ones should give a decent run time.

This one runs about $110, and should give a RW4 or equivalent WP several hours.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=br700g

Larry, Jaebo actually does make a battery backup. It's next on my list of toys to buy down the road.http://m.fish-street.com/coralbox_powercell_for_jebao_battery_pump__dc_pump

Thanks for the info, I was kind of hoping it would be like the tunze backup which is just a cable that you can hook up to any battery.

As I understand it, the Tunze product is just a "safety connector" that automatically switches the power source when the AC power is lost. It does not supply a power source, you have to give it a power source.

The UPS and the Jaebo product supplies power in case of your power going out. It is essentially your "safety connector" and power source.

As far as I know you are correct on the tunze connector. Something like that is actually preferred in my mind because it gives me the ability to pick and choose my battery and expand should the need arise.