LarryD's ten gallon upgrade

LarryD

Wooooooooo! Macro partay!!!!

Yep I am looking forward to using macro in this tank, now I just have to find where to get some and what type to get, I am thinking chaeto, ulva, or gracillaria.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my fellow reefers, today was the day, the big move (ok not really that big but it was a nearly 400% increase for me). I stopped by RCA and picked up some chaeto, and a few snails covered in coralline and proceeded to move everything over

post-4015-0-10711100-1436821934_thumb.jp

Fts shortly after the move and things are already opening.

However on a more solemn note I did solve the mystery of the my missing tailspot Blenny which after I returned from a weekend with family I noticed was missing but figured he was just under a rock like he occasionally does. However in the process of moving things over I located his tiny mummified corpse behind the tank.

post-4015-0-54549600-1436829913_thumb.jp

Everything is opening up great in just a few hours. I am going to take the little rainbow rock in the bottom right to rca tomorrow along with another colony of gsp and an extra rock with some cloves on in and maybe get a fish to replace my wayward Blenny.

My little clownfish is not very photogenic because I can never keep him in frame, he is swimming back and forth at the front of the tank so he is super visible. I am tempted to try and get an anemone to try and get it to host but I also have heard they will sometimes host in hammers or gsp, so I am going to give it some time and see if it will host my gsp. If not I have been thinking of getting a piece of lps or sps so maybe a hammer is in my future.

As always I am open to suggestions and I will try and get a updated fts soon.

Clownfish is doing great

post-4015-0-58797300-1436990562_thumb.jp

He is still not very photogenic.

Starting working on a diy ato with an osmolator style optical sensor, I am thinking about doing a build thread in the diy section once I get a couple more things figured out.

Not much has changed in the tank so far but I managed to get an ok picture so I figured I would post it.

post-4015-0-89144400-1437171620_thumb.jp

Been giving some thoughts towards stocking and came up with two options

Option A: get a bta preferably a Sherman for the clown to host (going to look at cambrik's soon) stick with the few zoas and the gsp I have until the nem is really settled and then maybe get some more zoas, shrooms, or ricordea.

Option B: softies and lps, I have not thought much past this because I kinda want the nem.

Well I saw my first diatoms in the new tank yesterday so a water change is on the list for today. They clown fish is doing great, and is probably the reason I have diatoms because he always wants more so I probably end up over feeding. I am getting dome better food in today or tomorrow so I will try and cut back on feedings and see if I can't get the diatoms to go away.

The diy ato with optical sensor is almost complete (once it is I will put up a thread about it possibly) and I hope to finish that by the end of the week.

I have decided to postpone my anemone dreams for now so I am on the look out for softies and lps of the not green persuasion, if anyone has some suggestions let me know.

Larry, diatoms usually appear because of silicates in the water. Typically from new sand that is used to start the tank and possibly from your source water for water changes and top off.

It's just another "ugly" phase the tank will go through while it's reaching for stability. I normally ignore this development and keep my husbandry practices the same during this "outbreak" as it usually goes away once all the silicates have been used up in your system, assuming your source water does not continue to be a source of silicates.

Long post short... just let it be is what I usually do. It'll go away by itself.

So I think my tank is good for the time being, thanks to SashaD I have some out of this world palys, a blue ricordea, a lavender lord acan, a leather and some red sps that I can't remember the name of. Once I get it dipped and set up I will show pictures.

Time for some pictures

post-4015-0-51368300-1438126336_thumb.jp

first off and FTS

post-4015-0-66204000-1438126450_thumb.jp

my awesome self repairing blue ricordea

post-4015-0-18536200-1438126472_thumb.jp

super happy devils hand leather

post-4015-0-29208900-1438126534_thumb.jp

out of this world Palys

post-4015-0-99748100-1438126573_thumb.jp

a plump lavender lord acan

post-4015-0-67526500-1438126614_thumb.jp

a Tyree Montipora Setosa

don't ask me why they are sideways it puts them that way no matter what I do.

• 2 weeks later...

So the tank is still doing well, I am still dealing with some diatoms but it is not really bad and might even be tapering off a bit. The blue ricordea I got from SashaD appears to be growing a new mouth so hopefully it will split soon. I will get an fts when the lights come on this afternoon.

Figured it was time for an update.

post-4015-0-94453100-1439588026_thumb.jp

I am still dealing with a bit of diatoms but it is not nearly as bad as it was. I lost the nasarius snail, which is probably a sign that I really should not have put one in a brand new tank, I might try another down the line since I like them but who knows. I have had to turn the lights down a bit to deal with some paleness on my setosa frag but I am hoping to see some colour return soon, my ricordea is probably twice the size it was when I got it but has yet to form the second mouth completely. Lastly my diy optical ato has been up and running without a problem for a couple weeks now.

Looking good Larry!

How are those corals working out for you? There looks to be enough light for everything. I see that you are keeping the zoas pretty high in the tank, are you going for a polyp garden? I've always thought gardens look really cool, but I'm too much of a control freak to let things grow all over everything. laugh.png

BTW good placement on the GSP. Keep them on their own little island away from the other rocks and they won't spread. They will start to grow over the sand a bit, but you can just cut that part off once it gets big enough.

Looking good Larry!

How are those corals working out for you? There looks to be enough light for everything. I see that you are keeping the zoas pretty high in the tank, are you going for a polyp garden? I've always thought gardens look really cool, but I'm too much of a control freak to let things grow all over everything. :lol:

BTW good placement on the GSP. Keep them on their own little island away from the other rocks and they won't spread. They will start to grow over the sand a bit, but you can just cut that part off once it gets big enough.

Thanks man, I am still waiting to see if the reduced light helps the setosa, I have also started feeding a bit more to try and get some more nutrients in the tank for it so far no algae.

As for the location of the zoas and palys there is not much room down low to keep them so they get to be up high. The tank is pretty much to capacity as far as coral goes.

I learned my lesson about gsp placement in my picotope when it spread across the tank, I am actually concerned this one might still be to big I have been considering trying to swap it for a smaller colony.

Sometimes "new" tanks can be rough on corals. I say new in quotations because it really depends on the type and kind of live rock you start with. I think it looks really cool when people put different zoas next to each other. They make rainbow rocks and really add a layer of depth to the underwater garden theme.

Sometimes "new" tanks can be rough on corals. I say new in quotations because it really depends on the type and kind of live rock you start with. I think it looks really cool when people put different zoas next to each other. They make rainbow rocks and really add a layer of depth to the underwater garden theme.

Ya I have some inverse Rastas and radioactive dragon eyes that I moved onto the same disk to try and get some cool stuff out of.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the setosa is not going to make it, I still get polyp extension but the body of the frag is almost completely white now. All the other corals are doing really well and I even have coralline starting to show up on the rocks. I think I have decided to get rid of my colony of gsp so if anyone needs some gsp let me know because I want to make some room for some more smaller lps colonies.

It has been a while since I last did an update. The setosa is hanging on but I don't have high hopes, all the other corals are doing great as are the clown and the shrimp.

I do think I am going to get rid of my ultra gsp colony as it is a little to big for the tank, so if anyone is interested give me a pm otherwise I will probably take it to the store in a week or so. I will post some pictures of the tank when i get back in town tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some new coral coral mainly a green favia and a rainbow micromussa.

post-4015-0-88545300-1442368287_thumb.jp

The micromussa really opened up with a little reef chili

post-4015-0-32617700-1442368360_thumb.jp

Once I get rid of the gsp I am going to put a piece of rock in its place and put the micromussa and maybe a zoa on that". I also need some cuc suggestions the snails do a good job on the glass and a reasonable job on the rocks, but they are dropping the ball on the sand. Any thoughts on tiny sand cleaners?

Update time, lot has changed. I got rid of my gsp colony because I was concerned with it actually getting onto the main scape. In its place is a new piece of rock that I placed a new rainbow micromussa and a neat green and purple ricordea I got from o0zarkwater in exchange for the gsp along with a Pham original zoa which I do not remember the name of, I also got a green favia frag. I also started dosing reef energy at a drop of a and b twice a week. To help with the excess nutrients I picked up a reef octopus ns-80 skimmer which I have yet to put on the aquarium.

Here is a shot of the tank now

post-4015-0-15623800-1442625993_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

So the skimmer appears to be almost completely broken in, it is still running wet so if anyone has suggestions on how to tune one I am all ears.

It also looks like I will be moving out to Yuma at some point in the future so I will have to decide what to do with the aquarium.

So it is time for another installation of me talking to my self in the build thread, this one is a doozy so I hope I am ready for it. I excepted a job in Yuma Arizona so once the security clearance goes through I will be moving out there, now I am sure my imaginary audience saw my thread To move or to sell where I took a poll and decided to go ahead and sell of all the live stock or conceivably the entire system if someone wanted a ten gallon, what this means is that the end of the build thread is near (is there an emoji of a crazy man holding up a sign, I don't know but Ty probably does) but don't fret imaginary audience because Yuma has no local forum (or salt water fish store for that matter) so ARC will still be my forum and will be where I start up the next build thread a few months after I move once I get settled and can get some capital gathered for the build.

In other news my micromussa is not liking the tank it seems, it was super happy when I first put it in with feeding tentacles out and waving but then I moved it to the place I wanted to keep it and left for my interview in Yuma and when I got back it was retracted and sad looking. I figured to much light so I moved it to the outskirts of the tank for a week and it was not helping so in a last ditch attempt to get it healthier I popped it back into the original happy location to see what happens.

Archived