Goniopora

JGon

There is something going on with my goniopora. About a month ago, maybe longer, I noticed one of the polyps had come off and was swirling around loose in the tank. Didn't think anything of it. Now, there's two more polyps floating around in the tank. Just saw them this morning. Why would they be coming off???

Do you know if it was an ORA or other cultured goniopora?

There's a bunch of sub species of these as well as alveopora. Many of them are virtually impossible to keep in good health long term given our current understanding of their care. ORA and some of the other companies specifically propagate varieties that they know will survive in captivity. If yours wasn't one of these, it can be a coin toss even if kept under good conditions.

Generally speaking, they're a high nutrient type of coral, so if you haven't been feeding the tank, they can waste away over time. Different species have hugely different lighting and flow preferences.

Here's a good article with care suggestions if you are able to identify the actual species you have. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/10/aafeature2

There are basically two types of Goniopora: the kind that gradually die over a period of years and the ones that die quickly. With that said if you have a clownfish they frequent this species quite often to host and break loose the polyps and irritate the coral.

Do you know if it was an ORA or other cultured goniopora?

There's a bunch of sub species of these as well as alveopora. Many of them are virtually impossible to keep in good health long term given our current understanding of their care. ORA and some of the other companies specifically propagate varieties that they know will survive in captivity. If yours wasn't one of these, it can be a coin toss even if kept under good conditions.

Generally speaking, they're a high nutrient type of coral, so if you haven't been feeding the tank, they can waste away over time. Different species have hugely different lighting and flow preferences.

Here's a good article with care suggestions if you are able to identify the actual species you have. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/10/aafeature2

I honestly don't know if it's ORA or any other cultured goni. I got it at aquadome. I do keep up with feeding the tank. I tried to upload a video so you could see the flow and lighting. But it failed to upload. I'll try it again in a while.

There are basically two types of Goniopora: the kind that gradually die over a period of years and the ones that die quickly. With that said if you have a clownfish they frequent this species quite often to host and break loose the polyps and irritate the coral.

Yeah I heard clowns like to host them. But I don't have a clown. Only fish in the tank are a greenbanded goby and a yellow watchman goby with his little pistol shrimp friend. Also an anemone crab and three snails.

I'm pretty sure that one is a stokesi, which unfortunately is one of the harder to keep. Realistically if you can keep one for more than about 2 years, you're in a very select group. Doesn't look very bad right now. PE is a little on the low side, but nothing extremely worrying from what I can see.

Best bet is moderate light and it needs somewhat turbulent flow from time to time, not high flow, but random flow. If you have vortechs, NTM mode would be preferable a few times a day. You may also want to directly feed it a few times a week with frozen mysis, cyclops, or other small particulate frozen foods.

Nutrient-rich water like w/ a softie tank under indirect or moderate fluorescent lighting, LEDs and MH are too strong and give it gentle water movement. Feed daily with phytoplankton . Place on the sandbed and never remove from the water while the polyps are extended as this will tear the flesh from the weight of the water in the coral. Always gently shake it to get it to retract before picking up.

Archived