Red monti bleaching

I recently purchased a red monti frag and after a couple days in my tank it has developed a white spot. I'm not sure what is causing it. I have kept it under moderate lighting. da0723213d5ad7405786ae16c67a3014.jpg

When I noticed it it had a small bit of slime resting in this area. If anyone has any idea what could be causing this. Please let me know.

Ok. There was a little slime on it right where it was bleaching. I probably did it when I was attaching it to the rock. Is there any way to treat it?

I think if you already attached it to the rock then maybe its best to watch it and see if it spreads before doing anything. I have found monti cap to be really finicky about being touched/disturbed and have had better luck leaving them alone than trying to help them. Your tank is pretty small, how old is it?

Many coral excrete slime when they are damage or out of water. My experience is that montipora produce slime when they are cut or damaged. I would leave it and see if it spreads. If it doubles in size then I would frag it to save a piece of coral in case the colony is lost.

When they do produce a lot of slime, sometimes it helps to gently blow some water over it with a turkey baster to help remove the slime. Also, caps can get accumulation of debris on them which can cause dead spots if there isn't enough flow to remove the debris. Just be on the watch for debris.

I think if you already attached it to the rock then maybe its best to watch it and see if it spreads before doing anything. I have found monti cap to be really finicky about being touched/disturbed and have had better luck leaving them alone than trying to help them. Your tank is pretty small, how old is it?

My tank is a few months old. It's a 16 gallon tank. Pretty small

If the bleaching spreads you may want to make sure you are not having alk swings. Montis can be sensitive to that. As an example, I measure alk on my 32 gallon every day and adjust my dosing according to how much the corals are consuming. Adding a new coral can cause a pretty big dip in alk over just a couple of days. And, if a coral gets unhappy and stops consuming alk than that can cause an alk spike in just a couple of days. It's probably even more drastic in a 16 gallon aquarium.

Archived