What battery backup would you recommend?

Cambik

In light of all the recent storms and having a 4 hour power outage yesterday I need to figure out a good battery backup that I can at least keep my circulation pump running for a while. I actually was about to rent a generator when I i got word the power came back on. Would prefer one i can get throuh amazon since I have a prime account with free two day shipping.

I use an APC UPS for a computer for my backup pumps. I think it's the BR1500G or a similar 1500 VA model.

One thing to keep in mind is that most battery backup systems aren't designed with any sort of long term operation in mind so even at low load, they often have a much shorter running time than you would expect. They're basically designed to give a computer enough time to run for a short amount of time and then safely shut down. If you can get more than 150-180 minutes out of one running a small pump and/or airstone or something similar, that would be about as good as can be expected unless you buy something with a ton of battery capacity.

pretty much any APC model, as the guts rarely go bad, and you can replace the batteries when required. you can ever get the batteries locally in georgetown cheap. I run my system off an APC 1400RM replace the batteries about every 18mo.

One thing to consider if you are buying a new UPS is what waveform is being used. APC uses sine wave, which is why they are more expensive, however the batteries last longer and the equipment plugged into it lasts longer. for more info, check out http://www.minutemanups.com/support/pwr_un10.phpor do some google search on UPS waveform. remember, you are using magnetic pumps, and possibly really expensive controllers. clean and smooth is the way to go, IMHO.

As my tank is an AIO 45g i should be fine hooking up just the return pump to maintain circulation. I will have to do a test once I get the UPS hooked up to see what all i will connect. Also since this is a fairly small tank and has the hydor nano skimmer would you leave that running as well?

I also went with the APC one as it has a 3 year warranty as well.

main goal during power outage is water movement and oxygenation. if your pump is circulating the skimmed water, thats perfect. in my tank i (used to) shutdown all the lights, put the tunze on calm, shutdown all the pumps except the return pump and air stone in the sump. the less you have running, the longer you can run. (i say used to because i've run out of power ports on my controller.... all pumps on one right now, ugh)

Archived