Zoanthid Help

BBMarlin

Over the past 9 months or so I’ve watched my zoanthid population diminish by over 2/3. I’ve watched whatever is impacting them move from one side of my tank to the other. I have a few other colonies that seem to be unaffected by whatever is making these corals sick. These corals are several years old and my water parameters are just fine and have been for some time, all other hard corals and soft corals are thriving. I think I’ve got some sort of pathogen but I really don’t know what to look for. If anyone has any ideas let me know. This is the latest colony that is about to kick the bucket, let me know if you see anything.

nhCljpB.jpg

Edited by BBMarlin

Some zoa keepers swear by using ChemiClean to give zoas a boost. I actually dip my zoa frags in chemiclean if they are looking funny and they always bounce back afterwards. Its a cyano treatment technically but its worked for a lot of people

First thing I would so is pull the colony and dip in lugols and blow with a turkey blaster and look for zoa spiders or nudis. Other than getting overrun they look healthy, just closed.

• Like 1

It looks like you have blue clove polyps mixed in with the zoas as well as a few blue/green palys, both can be aggressive and cause problems. You might try breaking up you zoanthiid colony and maintian some seperate from the clove and play polyps to see if they are the problem. And FYI chemiclean is a form of eurthromycin, an antibiotic, so be VERY carefull using it as you can create monsters that are resistant to it.

Some zoa keepers swear by using ChemiClean to give zoas a boost. I actually dip my zoa frags in chemiclean if they are looking funny and they always bounce back afterwards. Its a cyano treatment technically but its worked for a lot of people

Thanks Makena, I might try this. It is something I have not considered.

First thing I would so is pull the colony and dip in lugols and blow with a turkey blaster and look for zoa spiders or nudis. Other than getting overrun they look healthy, just closed.

I actually have pulled other colonies and dipped in fresh water as well as lugols. Nothing has come off.

It looks like you have blue clove polyps mixed in with the zoas as well as a few blue/green palys, both can be aggressive and cause problems. You might try breaking up you zoanthiid colony and maintian some seperate from the clove and play polyps to see if they are the problem. And FYI chemiclean is a form of eurthromycin, an antibiotic, so be VERY carefull using it as you can create monsters that are resistant to it.

The teal palys and cloves have been around for awhile now and I can't attribute the problem to either of these corals as some of the others that have perished did not have them around. The cloves have pretty much taken over my tank, know of any thing that eats them :)?

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would give everyone a quick update on my Zoanthid issue. I did a chemiclean treatment last Thurs 5/28 and my Zoathids have almost fully recovered now after several months of decline! Must have had some sort of communicable bacterial disease which the antibiotics cleaned right up. Thanks for the tip Makena

05/30

9MqI00m.jpg

06/01

uZw7T51.jpg

06/04

iXutqFN.jpg

YQftJJU.jpg

-brett

• Like 2