75 Gallon Anthias Tank

madsalt

My wife has been wanting to build an Anthias tank so we pulled the trigger and picked up a 75 gallon RR. I will keep everyone posted as to how the build goes.

What you see in the picture is just what was available. We plan on using Kessils for lighting and mp10s for circulation.

post-2485-0-59799800-1431579003_thumb.jp

post-2485-0-47804100-1431579016_thumb.jp

The wife really likes squamipinins, we have some now and we have a Bartlett. I think we will have those along with some lyretail and some purple queens. I'll have to look into some of the others you mentioned

This tank is going to be awesome! Why couldn't you have just added it to your current tank? Issues with fish compatibility?

Wait, I thought squamipinins were lyretails? I think depending where the male lyretail comes from, the variations look very different and some are stunningly gorgeous. The purple queens I hear are hardy to get feeding than most but it can be done. There's an article by someone who shared his story of how he did it.

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/71849-boldly-colored-beauties-tuka-anthias.html

Ty I have Anthias in my 180 but the wife really wants to do a whole tank of them. I may have to convince her to add a couple other fish that are beneficial to the over all tank. After all Anthias swim, eat, poop and pee they don't do much else. And as mentioned above I will have to have a hearty cleanup crew, starfish, a tuxedo urchin or two, snail and crabs. I know Ty you aren't a fan of cross but here they may be necessary.

This tank is going to be awesome! Why couldn't you have just added it to your current tank? Issues with fish compatibility?

Wait, I thought squamipinins were lyretails? I think depending where the male lyretail comes from, the variations look very different and some are stunningly gorgeous. The purple queens I hear are hardy to get feeding than most but it can be done. There's an article by someone who shared his story of how he did it.

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/71849-boldly-colored-beauties-tuka-anthias.html

Oh no, the crabs!

I'd focus on nutrient removal as well... nice sized skimmer... ATS... biopellets...GFO... something to offset the larger bioload per tank volume in the system.

Any corals or just fish only?

Oh no, the crabs!

I'd focus on nutrient removal as well... nice sized skimmer... ATS... biopellets...GFO... something to offset the larger bioload per tank volume in the system.

Any corals or just fish only?

I vote large dedicated refugium over bio pellets.

Nutrient export is one of my concerns. The stand does not lend itself to very much equipment and the sump is only 20 gallons. I think the sump will hold a skimmer that will handle the tank but then I'll have to be creative for the other stuff

We will have some corals, mostly soft and perhaps a few LPS. My 180 is reserved for the SPS hopefully lol

A skimmer and biopellets should remove nitrates out of the question as far as nutrients are concerned. Then all you have to do is take care of phosphates... GFO should take care of that.

Any reason why you're going with the Kessils?

Nutrient export is one of my concerns. The stand does not lend itself to very much equipment and the sump is only 20 gallons. I think the sump will hold a skimmer that will handle the tank but then I'll have to be creative for the other stuff

We will have some corals, mostly soft and perhaps a few LPS. My 180 is reserved for the SPS hopefully lol

How much height under the tank is there?

The tank is on its way. I am going with two 160s because they aren't that expensive and they look good. We used them on my friends tank.

There is maybe 30 inches or so under the stand. I can probably get a rector under it for GFO and carbon, I have en extra one so I'll probably use it. I will be limited on my skimmer size because of the sump but an external sump isn't out of the question.

post-2485-0-12669500-1431663278_thumb.jp

Archived