LED lighting Suggestions for 45g Rimmless AIO.

Cambik

Greetings all,

I recently purchased a 45G AIO rimless aquarium. It Currently has a 92W LED fixture on it that I have read reviews indicating is junk. I believe this as some of the LED's are out on it currently. There is currently only a clean up crew and also live rock in it. I do however want to get some suggestions on lighting for this tank. I would eventually like to have SPS but since this is my first saltwater tank I want to take it slow and start out with some of the easier corals. I do however want to try and plan for the expansion so I am not buying another light in 6 months to a year when I want to start adding some of the SPS. I don't want to be spending a lot but I am willing to look at everything. If you need any other information let me know please. Like I said this is my first Saltwater tank but I do have several Freshwater tanks including a 90g Discus tank.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Without regard to price, just throwing some ideas out there that will work for SPS...

If you prefer more of a full coverage look, like you would get with T5's, BML strips are pretty amazing. The 20K has outstanding color and intensity. Would have no problem growing SPS in that tank with 2 strips. The benefit of strips for SPS is they grow much more uniform compared to single point fixtures.

A 250MH fixture would be great for that tank. They're dirt cheap nowadays and you can probably find one with supplemental T5's or LED to get more actinic / blue in the tank.

LED's, ^ radion would be great.

AI makes some good fixtures that would work for that tank, AI SOL, or Hydra, or the newer ones.

Kessil A350's would work great on this tank, but you might need 2 of them for coverage.

I will say I would prefer to stay with the LED's as the tank is in a bedroom and really don't want a fan running loud if I can help it. I just know before I start adding any type of Coral I have to replace the light that is currently on it. It is lighting it now so I have a little time to do some research on this. As for price, I really don't want to spend more than $400 total if a controller is needed.

Victoly is that the XR15 Pro? Does it have its own controller? I am looking for something that either has a built in controller at the moment if possible. As for price I really don't want to spend more than $400 total if a controller is needed as well.

A controller isn't needed, it has one built in. However, you CAN use an apex to control it down the road if you want to with the WXM expansion on the apex. You program the XR15 with a USB cable and a computer.

I like my ocean revives and you could light that tank for under $200. They come with or without controllers built in. A few people on the forums use the Chinese Ebay models with success. I didn't like them. Both of these have fans on them though.

Some people use BML but they are pricey and hot to the touch while running.

This 156w light on amazon looks decent. I might get two though.

If you want a smurf light then you can buy some Kessils pretty cheap on amazon or ebay in the $150 range. You would need two.

Archived