175g DSA Planted tank

Jimbo662

I loooovvveeee my Python. Its so awesome that my brother stole it from me. Not only is the hose so much nicer than the Aqueon brand water changer and doesnt kink up.. But the sink adapter is brass and not dinky plastic that breaks

Great choice in equipment.

I say fill today ;P

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL...I've started testing.

Bulkhead...no leaks!!!

PVC fitting screwed into bottom of bulkhead...main drain leaks...I've replaced the teflon tape 3 times and got it to a very slow trickle. Finally just now broke down and put a bead of silicon around the end of the threads. Because I'm almost 100% sure the emergency drain will have the same issue I just put new tape and a bead of silicon on it too.

Taping is always my downfall...can never get it right the first, second or 3rd times.

Well, here's the first pass at the aquascaping. All critiquing and suggestions welcome. Planning to fill the spaces between rocks and wood with plants and keep the perimeter bare.

post-2872-0-37860000-1430596695_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-18646000-1430596710_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-14520800-1430596724_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-20753800-1430596739_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-00185900-1430596756_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-94832400-1430596767_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-90764200-1430596780_thumb.jp

Last night I filled the tank!!! Plumbing was perfect, no leaks anywhere and the sump is working as planned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu_mlsGhAhY&feature=youtu.be

It looks like I'll have enough flow just from the return pump and won't need the MP40s.

I set up the QT tank Sunday. Going to pick up some cardinals and cories today.

Or.. The $700 pleco at Aquatek, you know you want him. Such a handsome fella haha

Is that like the foot long one they have in the back tank?

I haven't been there in a while but he was probably closer to two feet, grey with crazy blue eyes. So pretty.

You haaaaaaaaaaaave to get a FW goby, just cause I said and I love me some gobies[emoji14]

Any chance at ornamental shrimp? Im starting to miss all my old nicer FW tanks lol its taking me back to what got me into the fishkeeping hobby :')

(Like im sooooo old or something lol)

I think i really got serious about keeping fish in general in 2008 my freshman year and was all about FW tanks. My all time favorite fish is my Oscar, named Oscar lol and bottom feeders/plecos are a close second

That's the fanciest FW tank I've ever seen.

Too many reefing aspects? spiteful.gif

I'm not sure how they do the high tech FW tanks these days. It might be totally normal. I gave up my last FW tank in 2000 and I don't think controllers existed and I had never heard of anyone using a sump. My best African Cichlid tank had an undergravel filter and my best planted South American Discus tank was sand with two fluval canisters. I had an 3" Rainbow Arawanna in a 180g tank for about 10 years. I had an Alligator Gar before they became illegal to have. He was in a tank with 3' Red Tail Catfish that was pretty cool, but dirty like you would never believe. Both of those tanks had undergravel filters and Penguin 440 HOB filters. The biggest pump I remember having was a Penguin 1140 power head. I had never heard of using CO2 for planted tanks until this year. I guess hardcore people do that. My plants were just decoration. Times change a lot.

First batch of cardinals coming out of QT and into the tank. Got them from Niko's. Great healthy fish. They've all eaten like little pigs from day one. Planning to order two more batches of 15 over the next two weeks.

post-2872-0-80381600-1431279969_thumb.jp

They seem to be loving their new home. They spent most of the evening racing up and down the current from the return nozzles. Should be awesome once I double or triple the numbers.

LOL For the love of God no Oscars in there please. LOL Goodbye plant kingdom if you do. You know that though. Nice cardinals, They're so much bolder looking than neons. How big of a school are you thinking? You could easily put 100 or so in there without it looking silly

Archived