Lowering Alkalinity levels

hammons.david

Are you running a calcium reactor? What do you have in the tank, fish only or corals? If you have corals, how do they look? If everything is running and looking ok, you might make sure that your calcium is good and your mag is above 1200 I would say maybe a little higher. Eventually it will get used up if you have corals. You could do a butt load if water changes but it will be slow to drop since the salt will maintain a certain alk level. Can you post your other parameters and such

• Like 1

You Can Read What Ty And I Did On The Mentor Forum. Whatever you do you want to do it slowly. I would retest though. When I was at 16 almost everything was dead. I think it's very possible that you got inaccurate results for some reason what test are you suing

• Like 2

I second wardlaw. What are you testing with? If it's api's kit they are almost never accurate or within 5%. I've been doing my own experiment lately on api, Red Sea, and what Hanna checkers are offered. Hanna and Red Sea are almost always within 2-3% of each other but the Hanna's are super easy. I prefer those. The api tests have been anywhere from 13% -34% different from both the others (I use all three every time). The variance in these being the size of the drops added and the amount of titration or shaking and also if you let stand long enough for development depending on the test being done. Don't know if it helps but Api is horrible. Hanna's for the main test are definitely worth it (alk,cal, phosphate)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously you know the root cause to all this. Having a personal RO/DI system is rare and buying LFS RO water gets expensive but it taught everyone who read this thread a good lesson, that it is definitely worth it. Not only for the fish and corals with the inconsistency of tap/well water but for the aquarist. Look at all the stress its put you through and time to not only figure out what to do but then to actually do it.

I would definitely fill SLOWLY with RO water. Go to a LFS and buy a few buckets worth. Watch your salinity levels as it will lower and only add saltwater (whether mixed from your well or better yet buy that also at a LFS) just to maintain salinity. But adding RO water slowly will slowly lower alk while not shocking the livestock.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So am I to understand that you have been topping off with well water? And that water is high in alk?

What calcium additive have you been using?

What I would do.

1).switch your top off water to RODI.

2).monitor your alk daily.

3). Stop dosing calcium.

3).make some fresh salt water with RODI water and do a couple 10% water changes. Probably 2 a week until your alk stabilizes. DO NOT SWING YOUR SALINTY. If your corals are going to make it it's important that you not swing parameters as they are probably already stressed.

4). Invest in a RODI unit. There are several units that can be had for relatively cheap. Airwaterice a forum sponsor has them as does Bulk reef supply. That way you can make your own top off water and fresh salt water.

• Like 1

Yes it's fine to switch your top off water to distilled.

I wouldn't use distilled to make salt water as it's just expensive. If you have a LFS close to you it may be better to just buy your premixed saltwater from them.

Diluting w/ RODI or distilled water will lower your salinity and possible change your pH more than 2 ths in a day and could kill your fish and stress your coral. I would just let it fall naturally if everything looks good at this point. No more dosing except Ca supplement only if Ca falls below 380. But please do have those numbers verified to insure you are indeed that high to begin with.

Neon reefer,

I think he means use distilled to make fresh salt water. And using distilled in his top off water

It would be a horrible idea to take out salt water and replace it with distilled.

Neon reefer,

I think he means use distilled to make fresh salt water. And using distilled in his top off water

It would be a horrible idea to take out salt water and replace it with distilled.

I was referring to this earlier in the post where it was ambiguous as to what was being said.

Better to just let it fall naturally even water changes with salt will lower it only slightly.

"would definitely fill SLOWLY with RO water. Go to a LFS and buy a few buckets worth. Watch your salinity levels as it will lower and only add saltwater (whether mixed from your well or better yet buy that also at a LFS) just to maintain salinity. But adding RO water slowly will slowly lower alk while not shocking the livestock."

I agree that statement was hard to decipher.

The reason I reccomended doing biweekly 10% water changes is

1). There is almost nothing that can't be fixed with some water changing.

2). If his alk is that high chances are he is getting some precipitation. To restore the ionic balance the best thing is to do WC to bring everything back in line. This will also allow his tank to fall in alk naturally during that time.

3). I'm not confident that his alk test is even remotely accurate. If his alk is at 8dkh and not 16dkh doing water changes isn't going to hurt anything.

4). While it's always fun to dose acid or do other experiments that require less work sometimes the best answer is just do some water changes.