Will cleaner shrimp clean clowns?

My New blue stripe clown ( A. Chrysopterus) I got a pair of them last friday. The Female one looks like it has ich. White spots all over it. Luckly I knew that these clowns are prone to get brook so I put them in my 29 gallon that I am using as a QT. I haven't put any medications in there yet. I won't if the skunk cleaner shrimp will clean my clown. If not I'll be looking for some formalin or some meds that will cure ich. This is the first time I have ever dealt with a fish disease. So help is very much needed..what do I do???

I would hold off on meds for right now. I would get some garlic soak for their food and try to feed them every day. Good water conditions and strong eating will clear up ich most of the time. You could also soak the food in vitamins and fatty acids. Give them some time to naturally recover before stressing them even more with meds. Especially formalin!

BTW I live in South Austin and apparently take the hippie approach to helping sick fish.

Ok ..sounds good to me. Maybe its showing up from the stress of shipping? I have started soaking their food in garlic yesterday to keep the males wounds from getting infected. This morning is when we noticed the female has white spots. She is eating well still, the male doesn't have any spots and eats well too. The female has a white tail and the juvenile male is the yellow tail. I fed them this morning and they gobbled up the food quick. This morning I soaked their food in kent Zoecon and garlic extreme. I can't get her out in the open to take a picture of her with the spots but here is pictures that I took yesterday.

picture203063zoomyn4.jpg

picture2030631smallva4.jpg

That sounds good. I think your fish are in a good place. As long as they eat I wouldn't worry about the ich until a week or so has gone by. Assuming there isn't anything else in the tank, you can raise the temp to 82ish and lower the salinity to 1.18 or so. However, their symptoms might come back once they are introduced into your reef system.

Very nice fish!

I don't understand ..why raise the tank temp? Do you mean 1.018 sg? How slowly should I lower the SG..its at 1.026 right now. SG is tested by a Refractometer. We mix up our change water at 1.026 because our other tanks have anemones in them. The Chrysopterus are the only fish in the 29 and there is no inverts in there...just live rock and sand.

I am willing to bet the cleaner will not clean the clowns. Not because the cleaner is unwilling, but more likely the clown will not be willing to let itself be cleaned. I have only seen cleaners be successful with tangs and angels. As long as they are eating it is a good sign IMO. My tang went through a bout with ich which seemed to last forever (almost a month), but it never stopped eating and stayed fat the whole time. After a while the ich went away. I would just keep feeding them and not change the tank at all unless the fish start looking distressed. Lowering the SG of the tank will make it easier on the fish though which might be a good step if you start to see signs of distress. I would lower it .01 per hour. Going lower is not as hard on the fish as going back to normal and can be done quicker IMO. Still I would hold off as long as they keep eating. Just make sure the water stays as clean as possible.

That is what I will do ..lower the SG and make sure they are eating well. Hopefully the spots will go away... She doesn't rub against the rocks and breathing is normal.

I took another picture of them today but you can barely see the white spots on her in the picture.

picture2030638lw2.jpg

I kinda figured the cleaner shrimp wouldn't clean her. I started to question myself when my husband asked me if we could put the cleaner shrimp in there. I don't think I've ever seen the cleaner shrimp clean my ocellaris.

Edited by sea_nacl_h2o