Nitrate in new saltwater???

JoelATX

I've been having 10-15ppm in my main tank and had done 4 10 gal water changes, over the last 10 days and cut back on feeding with no change.

SO I tested the new saltwater that I made on Thursday, and it's showing 10ppm..

Is it time to change filters in my RO system, bad batch of salt?

What the....

The DI has changed a cream/brown for the bottom inch of the canister.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Filters and DI media must have been exhausted, the TDS going into the DI was 12-15, and exiting the DI filter at 11.

Luckily I'd gotten a new filter set last week from our friends at BRS. TDS at exit is back to 0. There still was lots of blue in the old media. I tested the water in the holding tank, it's now Zero, didn't test before changing the filters.

I'm also using a non-food grade gray plastic tub, thats got a layer of gunk on all the under water surfaces. I'll be washing that out this evening before mixing more water.

Primary tanks was down a few points, in the 8ppm range now, so the vodka must be doing the trick.

Was the TDS output higher at the beginning or throughout filtration? Normally the first few cups that come out of the filter will show some TDS. Discard the water until the out TDS reaches zero. Some people say to discard the first gallon.

My BRS system has a flush value for the RO membrane, so I ran that for 30 minutes (ish), flushing the new filters, before I replaced the DI filter media. I'll use the current water in the holding tank to wash and rinse the saltwater mixing container. Then over night it will produce new fresh water.

Thanks,

Joel

Archived