Bobbyb3's budget 130 mixed reef.

Timfish

I will have to get a pic up of the Coral Beaty from a rehoming. My levels today before my water change was

Salinity 1.023

Ammonia 0.25

Cal 360 ppm

Mag 1040 ppm

Alk 4.2 Meg/L 11.8 dKH

Nitrate 12 ppm

pH 8.4

Phosphate 0 ppm

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooooops! Sorry! Forgot I need to follow this! doh.gif

With your calcium and magnesium really low right now it's real important to make note of how your corals are looking and use the birdsnest as a gauge for growth. As your system matures you most likely will see issues with stony corals when magnesium drops this low but it is going to depend a great deal on species. But what you want to be doing is getting an idea or feel for hwo your animals are reacting. They are often much better at telling you when there is a problem developing than your tests may show.

Salinity 1.023

Ammonia 0.25

Cal 350 ppm

Mag 1240 ppm

Alk 3.6 Meg/L 10.1 dKH

Nitrate 10 ppm

pH 8.2

Phosphate 0 ppm

I ordered a set of the 2 part BRS. Though everything is looking good fish and coral.

We definitely need to be adding calcium. Corals usually don't start dying until calcium drops down in the 200's mg/l but anything below 360 mg/l will slow down calcification. We need to keep it above 360 but since calcification rate does not increase with calcium increase any higher than 360 mg/l how high is kinda personal choice. If I remember correctly saturation is around 600 mg/l and calcium will start precipitating out on plumbing and pumps. I haven't seen it with high calcium levels in any of my systems but there are anecdotal reports of pump issues with calcium issues around 500. If you have a lot of corals growing trying to keep calcium that high will be a challenge though.

Right now your alkalinity is very good and you magnesium is acceptable. As you increase the available calcium you should see increased growth. This increased grwoth is going to start pulling more bicarbonate and magnesium so don't be surprised you need to increase the amounts of those. Looking back through the test readings adding a balanced supplement and extra bicarbonate we did see a jump in magnesium but a drop in calcium and alkalinity. What this tells me is we're seeing the corals trying to grow faster but we're not adding stuff fast enough. This is where we get to play mad scientist a bit but we'll need to see what combination is going to work as far as keeping it easy and keeping enough stuff available for your corals.

It's not just stoney corals that can use up availablecalcium, bicarbonate and magnesium. octocorals (soft and leather corals) also use it. Sinularia is one of the heavier users making thousands of calcium spindles that are incorporated into the body of the colony. And the non photosynthetic species use it also. Hidden cup corals and chili corals being two examples.

Sorry has a busy weekend but been slowly raising the levels. I did my normal water change on Monday. The leathers have been looking better since I raised the magnesium. The only problem I noticed today was the one of the yellow tails were missing. Though I must admit I don't count them everday :)

Salinity 1.023

Ammonia 0.25

Cal 370 ppm

Mag 1360 ppm

Alk 3.2 Meg/L 9 dKH

Nitrate 15 ppm

pH 8.3

Phosphate 0 ppm

• 3 weeks later...

I meant to do my update on Monday after my water change but my clown that was in QT died. It was doing fine just at the end it decided to host the inlet for the UV pump and I probably didn't see until it was to late. Other than that the tank is looking good. except for one anemone that has mode swings all the time. IMG_3007.jpgas you can see the others are doing fine.IMG_3005.jpgIMG_2995.jpg

Salinity 1.023
Ammonia 0.25
Cal 430 ppm
Mag 1350 ppm
Alk 3.5 Meg/L 9.8 dKH
Nitrate 12 ppm
pH 8.4
Phosphate 0 ppm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking good! It kinda bothers me we still have a little cyano but it's not running rampant and we still really haven't had any issues with Briopsis or Derbersia as is common so it's good. Seeing some decent growth on the corals which is good also.

Remind me if I've misremembered bit PAR readings with the 2 new light strips is ~175 at the tops of the rocks, ~150 across the middle of the tank and the front 2/3rds of the sand is ~90 correct?

Archived