SCA 302 Protein Skimmer

YeetPopper

I've had one for a while. You can see pictures of it in my build thread. I would start on the last page and go backward.

The price point of the skimmer is good. It performs well. For the most part I dry skim my 150g and have to clean the cup about once every two weeks. The manufacturer doesn't tell you that the skimmer water level should be kept between 6-8", but it's important to know. The pumps don't have a good reputation, but I haven't had any problems with mine so far. I'm not a huge fan of the control valve but it is the same as the much more expensive ASM G-4X that I had. I've heard that you can put a gate valve on it to make it more user friendly.

I've had one for a while. You can see pictures of it in my build thread. I would start on the last page and go backward.

The price point of the skimmer is good. It performs well. For the most part I dry skim my 150g and have to clean the cup about once every two weeks. The manufacturer doesn't tell you that the skimmer water level should be kept between 6-8", but it's important to know. The pumps don't have a good reputation, but I haven't had any problems with mine so far. I'm not a huge fan of the control valve but it is the same as the much more expensive ASM G-4X that I had. I've heard that you can put a gate valve on it to make it more user friendly.

Thanks, I see it has a considerably low price so It should be here next week.

Have one as well. The design is fine. Only downside is the atman pump, which aren't especially reliable long term. Many last for years, but they also have above average failure rates in the 6 months - 2 year range. Better quality pumps typically last 5 years+.

Have one as well. The design is fine. Only downside is the atman pump, which aren't especially reliable long term. Many last for years, but they also have above average failure rates in the 6 months - 2 year range. Better quality pumps typically last 5 years+.

I'm late, but I agree, I can attest that the Atman pumps that come with the 302 is its biggest weakness. I'm on my 2nd pump in a year and a half, and there won't be a third.

My issue is allegedly self induced because I was turning the skimmer off once a day to feed. Apparently the pump doesn't like multiple on/off cycles, and gradually gets to the point where it doesn't start reliably anymore. hmm.png I have to blow into the air intake to get it to operate properly. Replacement impellers and vinegar baths have no effect, just a new pump/impeller combo. After this second one pooped out on me, I've resorted to just turning it down when the water level rises in my sump when I turn off the return pump to feed.

Initial price wise it's awesome works great, but replacing the pump at $60 a pop gets old. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with something with a longer pump warranty.

Off OP's topic, but If someone knows of a good retro fit pump for this body, I'm all ears.

The Eshopps PSK 150 is the same price if Drs Smith and Foster are still running their sale price, and comes with Sicce pumps that you really can't beat. The skimmer design is simple and works great. Easy to dial in and not too finicky about sump depth. Although I run mine in ~ 9".

Archived