What is the macro and where did I get it?!

Juiceman

Definitely caulerpa recemosa. Probably the most aggressive algae I've ever dealt with. I'll take bryopsis over this stuff any day. In a large tank, foxfaces will take care of it. If you get it in a nano with even a moderate nutrient load, you'll have better luck starting over than controlling it.

Its in a 60 gal that didn't have any tangs in it until today

My yellow and kole wouldn't touch it, but hopefully yours will. I've heard of some that will, some that won't, normal tang behavior...

If it starts getting out of control, it would be worth borrowing a fish that will definitely eat it. This stuff pretty much took over my 28 a few years back. If it starts turning white or a pale blueish, it's about to go into reproduction mode which makes a huge mess of the tank.

+1 jestep. It's definetly recemosa. I've actually had differing experiences with it though. it sprouted up in one of my nanos 8months in without any forewarning. i watched it grow over a month as i researched information on it since the site of it wasn't too unappealing. Now i just trim it like cheato when it grows too long and use it as a nutrient exporter. im yet to see it go sexual, or spread from its original stalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 jestep. It's definetly recemosa. I've actually had differing experiences with it though. it sprouted up in one of my nanos 8months in without any forewarning. i watched it grow over a month as i researched information on it since the site of it wasn't too unappealing. Now i just trim it like cheato when it grows too long and use it as a nutrient exporter. im yet to see it go sexual, or spread from its original stalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my experience too in my 8gal and my 3gal. It showed up in both. Just in one spot and was easy to pull out. Never grew much.

Remove it best you can if you're concerned. Otherwise keep it trimmed and watch for when it looks like its dying or shrinking in size. When that happens its actually gone sexual and can easily spread uncontrollably.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had it in my in sump refugium for 6 months now. Added it intentionally. Lol. Too late now. Good to know my foxface will gobble it up if it ever reaches the display

Archived