Naso Tang

AbelR1975

Looks like the dreaded bryopsis to me. Do the Kent Tech M treatment and manually pull and it usually takes care of it.

If it's just on that rock, I'd just take it out and throw it away. Trust me, it's a much better option than fighting that stuff for months if not years!

I've observed my rabbitfish mowing down that stuff only when I have weakened it with the Tech M treatment. Otherwise, nothing will touch it at all.

I hate to say Abel but it looks like you have both. Obviously get a 2nd opinion because I'm only running off a picture but the stuff within your pocciliopora looks like bryopsis with a slime layer of dinos on it. The zoomed up picture looks like dinos by itself to me.

You can see the fernlike appendages in the stuff in the pocci and the slight blue tinge that bryopsis sometimes has. Give it a pull, and if it is solid and not slime, it probably is bryopsis. It's also hard to explain but when you pull it, you can almost feel it retracting in your fingers, like the ferns are closing or reacting to being pulled.

Tech M treatment for the bryopsis and hydrogen peroxide dosing for the dinos. You can google both pretty easy and it'll give you an idea of what most do for each treatment.

I have had Foxfaces in my reef tanks for years and never had a problem with them eating coral or getting stung by their spikes. Mine have even eaten out of my hands... I think the hype is more than it should be. They are extremely peaceful fish in my opinion and never caused any problems.

I was hoping I was wrong for your sake Abel.

You can get a gallon of tech m from big als for pretty cheap. The foxface won't even touch it until you weaken it with the tech m.

For dinos, they are actually toxic to your livestock so removing them as quick as possible is ideal. Lights out for a bit and peroxide dosing worked well for me but it was still a long fight.

Sent via Tapatalk

Ive also read something about no water changes because dinos love all the extra trace elements and minerals in a fresh salt mix. So that may help. Seems like lights out coupled with not doing water changes has worked for a lot of people.

Because of course with algae your first reaction is to do a water change but with dinos it seems to only make it worse for some

I've never actually heard of one first hand not being reef safe. I see the online shops saying with caution, but they're definitely not like angelfish where there's a likely chance they will eat coral at some point. Eating any specific type of algae is never guaranteed, but unless you get some 1/100 demon fish, I think you'll be happy with it.

Mine keep outgrowing my tank, but I think they're a more useful and better personality fish than any tang I've seen.

I guess the Tech M treatment works well with the no water changes for the Dinos, so thats a plus in this situation. I rid my tank of majano, only to end up with bubble algae, dino, and bryopsis. lol. Cure one thing and get 3 others!

I've been trying to research the H2O2 dosing. I havn't been able to find overly detailed instructions. About the most common info I get is 1ml per 10gal per day. Do I just dump that in my sump? I'm running phosban and purigen...do I need to stop? How long do I dose for? I'm wondering if the H2O2 will build up in the system and I'd rather not crash the tank from the H2O2.

Your corals won't like the H2O2 but they'll be fine and it'll oxidize in like 48 hours. But I've heard Berger success with doing H2O2 dips/baths then just dosing the tank. As far as how much to dose ive read 1ml per gallon but that's with 35% food grade H2O2

It's been awhile since I fought dinos but I believe I used the 1ml per 10gal rule. I used a pipette and blasted areas of dino formation directly with the hydrogen peroxide until I had dispensed the allotted amount of peroxide for the day. I split my daily peroxide treatment into two, dosing half in the morning and half at night.

My zoas and palys would close up immediately upon dosing but would always open up later without ill-effect.

This, combined with 3 days of darkness and a reduced photic period helped me win the battle over a 2-month timeframe.

I would imagine filter socks would speed up the treatment time but I didn't use any during my treatment.

Sent via Tapatalk

For H2O2, if you have the ability to do it, you can drain the tank enough to expose the rock. Use a spray bottle and directly spray the algae and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes. When you fill the tank back up, it will be diluted to the point where it's irrelevant.

Archived