building your own aquarium thoughts

Christian

It's not especially difficult to build a tank, but it is difficult to build one that compares to high end custom or commercial quality ones. Difficult to get super clean joints and professional quality silicon work especially when dealing with heavy sheets. If you're going for starfire or other low iron glass it increases the cost a lot without the benefit that an aquarium builder would get on purchasing in bulk. Same thing can be said for beveling glass edges if it's a requirement which typically is for rimless and exposed edges.

If it's a large tank it's worth it to use a professional IMO just because of the risk of flooding a house. DSA and DAS are both within a reasonable distance and do very good custom tanks and I think some local stores do them as well. Depending on what you are actually needing you may be able to use an off the shelf tank and frame around it. I know there's several members that went that route.

I don't like tall tanks personally. You need more light and longer arms. But a good glass supplier is very important. Like I bought glass from binswanger and the guy cutting glass use to build aquariums. He prepped the glass perfect.

That size seems doable. Not going to be easy but definitely within reason. I would stay under 30" in depth at all costs. I had a 110 x-high which is right about 30" in depth and it was virtually impossible to work on the sandbed. I'm pretty average height (5'10" ish) and I had my shoulder and half my head in the water a few times. You'd also need some seriously intense lighting to do any good down low.

Yeah that sounds good Ill defently need the help building a good one once I move were still doing paper work right now but hopefuly soon we should be all good to move. I curently have 57 aquariums from 55 to 10 gallon sizes but i need a big one to put as my desply system. I want this tank to be amazing. Im going to put into a closet that opens up to our sitting area up stairs. Im thinking about doing a full blown SPS system with MH lighting apex system and a sump thatbis about 75-100 gallons. Since it is on the second floor is run the intire closet/room off of a solar power system that will store electrictiy into batters in the atic. That way im only going to be paying fot up keep and water.

Sounds cool. Let me know if you need some help. Measuring is a little tricky if you've never built a tank.

Yeahi will defently let you know thank you.

I plan on useing this on the aquarium room for the power suply system. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-200-Watt-Off-Grid-Solar-Panel-Kit-GS-200-KIT/203505912?cm_mmc=SEM&cm_mmc=SEM&cm_mmc=SEM&cm_mmc=SEM&cm_mmc=SEM&cm_mmc=SEM&cm_mmc=SEM&cm_mmc=SEM&cm_mmc=SEM&cm_mmc=SEM&cm_mmc=SEM&gclid=CJjnqtSgxMACFce_7AoddDAACw&gclsrc=ds

If it's going in a wall and cost is an issue I would look at a standard 48" long tank, KimP's build is a 150. If the opening is already in the wall you could trim it out with shelves on one side holding a couple of nice shells. I've seen some nice builds that had shelves on both sides or one side to fill in the space.

Archived