MACNA 2014 - Live Report!

Richard L

I'm sitting in my room after spending most of the day on my feet. Resting up for the booze party, I mean "reception" in an hour. Cool things from today:

1. Eye candy. OMG there is so much cool, weird, jacked up coral to look at! Much more than last year. This year the thing is Jawbreaker mushrooms which are multicolored with orange and reds. Try $800 to $1000 per polyp and the few that I've come across are all sold. Multi-colored pectinas and chalices are also hot. Acans and zoos, gorgeous as they may be, are plentiful and not selling. One vendor explained to me that the first day everyone is buying up the unique and hard to get stuff, ignoring the staples of the hobby.

2. Stuff I bought that my wife can never know about. Feast your eyes:

post-2030-0-99563000-1409358134_thumb.jp

Multicolored Yuma - Aznnutty Saltwater

post-2030-0-26881000-1409358136_thumb.jp

Unnamed Chalice - Reef Koi

post-2030-0-29865300-1409358138_thumb.jp

Multicolored Pectina - Unique Corals

post-2030-0-01362000-1409358139_thumb.jp

Montipora and two different zoas - World Wide Corals

3. Rising Tide Conservation: Nonprofit out of Florida who's mission is to figure out how to economically breed marine fish in captivity. For example, they are really focused right now on figuring out how to breed hippo tangs before the new Disney Dory movie brings a tidal wave of demand in 2016. We may want to make this one of our sponsored charities.

4. Julian Sprung: Julian had a kind of doom and gloom message last year about the likely hood that the Fish and Wildlife Dept will be shutting down all or most of the coral and marine fish trade in the near future. I got a chance to talk a while with him today and he said that his lecture tomorrow will be a continuing update so I'll be sure to pass his message along.

5. Neptune Systems: Neptune announced a new line of dosing pumps and powerheads for those of you that haven't given them enough of your money. As usual they're cool and overloaded with tons of unnecessary but got-to-have it features.

More tomorrow...

ahh Richard! I've never been more content and jealous at the same time. Thanks for the update, what's the vibe like this year, mellowed out at all? [emoji38] ...ill never tell about the Yuma..as long as it has a chance of splitting eventually....oh uh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great update!

I'm curious about your, er, uhmmmm, ahhhh, 'acquisitions'; those pics are obviously under heavy blue spectrum lighting. Or at least via your phone which skews heavily towards blue. Are those colors representative of full spectrum lighting that most of us run? In other words; do they really look that insane IRL?

Also; did you see Mark?

Yeah, iPhone pics make everything look different. I'd just say all the pieces look amazing in person.

I bumped into Mark a couple of times but he was always filming segments for his show. He usually does that the first day and then he's free the rest if the show. Hope to catch up with him tomorrow at the banquet.

I'm going to also post this on the current thread about Cornbred corals: This MACNA I've been paying particular attention to the colors that the high end chalices, blastos, scans, and scollys exhibit. Especially since this is where the best examples of Jason Fox, Tyree, Cornbred should be found under ideal lighting (to show off a the colors). I have to admit that I'm seeing examples that look pretty close to the highly saturated corals listed for sale by Cornbred. Of course all the vendors are bombarding everything with 1.2 gigawatts of UV and actinic light but hey, I might start leaving my whites off and blocking out my windows with newspaper if I can look at those colors. But then again it might just be an illusion from all the second hand pot smoke. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived