Help with placing of frags

RichardAndSon

Hello, I have some frags that I am trying to super glue to my rocks and they keep falling off by the following days. Are there any tricks to the trade as to how to attach frags? I really don't like the look of the plug so I was hoping to attach straight to the rock.

Thanks

Super glue gel, epoxy, super glue gel. Basically make a sandwich. Put the coral frag onto the top superglue and slightly press into the epoxy. Then smash the other side with gel into the rock.

The quality of the super glue often makes a big difference as well. Loctite gel is pretty good that you can get from lowes/HD. Crazy and some of the other brands are really bad. TLF makes cheap reef specific gel that is really good and about 1/10 the cost of the ecotech stuff which is also really good.

+1 I used the harbor freight super glue gel for a couple years. 10 pack for like $4. Recently picked up some gorilla glue superglue gel and it's noticeably better. I know the active ingredient is still cyanoacrylate but the gorilla glue clogs less and holds better. I didn't expect it to either so I was pleasantly surprised. Some things are harder to glue than others. Sps are usually easy to glue, but softies and leathers? Forget about it

• Like 1

Those will be difficult/impossible to glue. Most people will put them in a cup with some rubble for a week or so till they attach naturally in a zero flow environment , or tie them down with string or rubber band until they adhere naturally. Mushrooms are also technically tiny anemones and can move around on their own free will. So if they don't like where you put them, they can and will move all on their own

• Like 2

i always rubberband softies to the rock in a low flow are and with in about two days they attach themself....I have done this with mushrooms and leathers...just dont wrap rubberband to tight as it may spit the colral..have done that also lol

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any recommendations for a specific type or brand of epoxy for attaching coral plugs to live rock. All the reviews I've read are 50/50...... and some say to mix the epoxy with super glue to have it cure faster, other reviews say the epoxy makes your Skimmer go crazy for days! ! Thanks in advance!

I use the bridal veil method to attach mushrooms. Place mushroom on rock, cover loosly with bridal veil, use the little clear hair rubber bands to secure the bridal veil. If you place in low flow the mushroom will stay put. If you place in hi flow the mushroom will still attach but the flow will push it to the side of the rock. So if you must put it in hi flow area then the bridal veil methods works.