Something on Montipora

jolt

Noticed these white things on a montipora frag I just bought. I poked a couple of them with a probe and they seemed to dissolve really easily. Not crustacean-like at all in my mind. I compared to pictures of montipora nudibranches and their eggs and it does not look to me like that is what I have here. Any ideas?

post-3460-0-16159000-1403748514_thumb.jp

I dipped it for 10 minutes in Coral Rx before I put it in the tank. It seems to be opening up just fine post-dip. It's mad in the picture because I had it out of the water to look at it closer. It seems to me that in the picture those white things might have a couple of flagella each, so they appear to be still alive. Or is that part of the monitpora? This is my first monti ...

Looks like colonial hydroids to me more than spionid worms, either way the former will actually sting coral the later a major irritant. Hydriods are very difficult to get rid of as there's no dip or natural predator that I've ever found that will mess with them.

Looks like colonial hydroids to me more than spionid worms, either way the former will actually sting coral the later a major irritant. Hydriods are very difficult to get rid of as there's no dip or natural predator that I've ever found that will mess with them.

Bayer Insecticide ?

Thanks for the advice all. I got them under high magnification and they are definitely Spionid worms. Two palps coming out of a little head, with a burrow into the coral skeleton. If bothered, the palps fall of easily. Not multiple arms like hydroids. I read up on Lugol's and Bayer and it was not clear to me that they would target these worms, so I super glued over them all as I read elsewhere this is a good way to kill them.

Archived