All-in-one Biopellets

Leakytree

Give it a whirl and let us know your results! shifty.gif

If you read my build thread, I recently discussed the merits of adding potassium phosphate to my tank in order to dose phosphates to my phosphate-limited system. This allowed for more uptake by my macro/bacteria to assimilate the excess nitrate in my system.

From the description of these biopellets, it seems like the product has added a phosphate source to the biopellets so that the bacteria have enough phosphates to further drive down the nitrates in a system than what normal biopellets can do.

It seems the reviewer might have mistakenly said that the creator added more "phosphate remover" in the biopellets. I believe he meant to say he added a phosphate source to the biopellets. Either that or that's marketing magic to not scare people with thoughts of adding phosphates to a system.

Give it a whirl and let us know your results! shifty.gif

If you read my build thread, I recently discussed the merits of adding potassium phosphate to my tank in order to dose phosphates to my phosphate-limited system. This allowed for more uptake by my macro/bacteria to assimilate the excess nitrate in my system.

From the description of these biopellets, it seems like the product has added a phosphate source to the biopellets so that the bacteria have enough phosphates to further drive down the nitrates in a system than what normal biopellets can do.

It seems the reviewer might have mistakenly said that the creator added more "phosphate remover" in the biopellets. I believe he meant to say he added a phosphate source to the biopellets. Either that or that's marketing magic to not scare people with thoughts of adding phosphates to a system.

I think you have that backwards. It's nitrates that typically become limited when using BP.

I'm dumb. You guys are right. I was referencing my condition in my current tank but that is without the biopellets online.

So he's basically selling a ball of biopellets probably with GFO infused in it, or some other phosphate binding media. That would be nice for people who don't want to run two reactors. That would be pretty cool if it works in theory. The slow release of the phosphate binding media coupled with the nitrate reducing abilities of the biopellets would mean you don't have to keep changing out your GFO monthly while your biopellets just churn and churn away for months to a year.

From what I've read its like Biopellets on steroids. I've had great results with Biopellets removing nitrates, but I have seen minimal changes to phosphate levels without GFO. It will be interesting to see if it can remove phosphates without completely nuking the nitrates.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/reef-interests-all-in-one-biopellets

It certainly looks like GFO from the picture but it seems like a bad idea if it is. The biopellets will break down and you're left with GFO particles being pushed into your tank? These seem to require even more flow and a sponge would get clogged quickly so if it's GFO, how do you stop it from getting dumped into your tank?

When I first read about them, I was hoping it was something that would break down, like biopellets, but actually provide nitrate. In theory, if you added more nitrate for the bacteria, you would lower phosphates. The bacteria need both nitrate and phosphate but far more nitrate than phosphate so not equal portions. This is why most people use GFO with BPs. I've read that zeovit (zeostart specifically) actually contains nitrate for this reason.

It'll be interesting to see how these work.

Yeah, if it is GFO, that would seem like a very messy situation.

I got my idea of dosing phosphates when my tank was phosphate-limited from the people dosing nitrates to a nitrate-limited biopellet setup. Be interesting to see the cost weighed out between running a GFO reactor and GFO media or dosing nitrates with a peristaltic pump for additional phosphate removal when using biopellets already.

My concern would be running the nitrates completely to zero. I have heard of this happening with zeovit and other low nutrient systems. I agree with Ty it could be very messy and when do you change the media? When the GFO stops working or when it's dissolved? That could cause a potential disaster if it's timed incorrectly. I may call the company and ask some questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My concern would be running the nitrates completely to zero. I have heard of this happening with zeovit and other low nutrient systems. I agree with Ty it could be very messy and when do you change the media? When the GFO stops working or when it's dissolved? That could cause a potential disaster if it's timed incorrectly. I may call the company and ask some questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used both BP and Zeovit. IME, BP were far more aggressive at nitrate removal than zeo.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived