Brown Stringy Algae

ceastman

So not sure what triggered the brown stringy algae (over feeding, lights, etc.) so I did a coral dip on all my corals, zoas and palys. A good amount of stuff fell off in the dip.

I cut back on the feed to just a small amount of pellets 1 once per day, decreased the photo period by an hour and adjusted the lighting a bit so the 14k and 12k leds have a weather factor during the day (apex weather - clouds, etc.)

post-3417-0-86816300-1399905473_thumb.jp

post-3417-0-75314200-1399905486_thumb.jp

post-3417-0-94117300-1399905498_thumb.jp

post-3417-0-11151500-1399905513_thumb.jp

Clean out your sump and all mechanical filters as well. They are the usual culprits for a diatom outbreak in my system. And do a few 5-10% water changes over the next week to clean up the water faster.

Based off the description, it's either cyano or dinoflaggelates. Hopefully it's just cyano... dino's are a big pain!

Diatoms are just a brown dusting on the sand and rocks and doesn't really string up... for lack of a better word for it. Haha.

this started before the phosguard, I started the phosguard thinking it was either phospates or silicates feeding the brown strings. I got about 5-6 other types of macro algae and they all seem fine. I did one have one of my macro algae go sexual about 2 weeks ago but I pulled it out before my water got too cloudy.

actually let me retract my previous statement - I do see some strings that have bubbles in them, and I do see bubbles on other things, I thought it was due to a slightly lower water level which caused one of my return pipes to suck air in and make bubbles in the tank.

I was suffering from

the same issue in my nanocube for the past few months, after doing a lot of research i thought it was the dreaded dino, which like ty said, is a PITA to say the least. Right when i was about to pull all of my rock out I read some encouraging posts and after cranking up my cheato production I think i was able to out compete it for nutrients and now a couple of water changes later the CuC has been able to make brunch of the dying brown string balloons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that, or at least something that fit your description. Timfish had an idea to try doing a water change with the water from a healthy tank. No kidding, I woke up 2 days later and checked out my tank and every single bit of it was just gone. I thought maybe it would come right back after the lights were on for a bit but it never did. This was a month or two ago. Just an idea. I know it could've just been a coincidence but it's an easy thing to try!

Also, do you run a skimmer?

• Like 1