DIY Sump - Anyone do acrylic work

JoelATX

Hi all,

I would cut and build an acrylic sump/refugium myself, but cutting the acrylic can be tough without the proper tools.

So does anyone in the community do acrylic work, and be willing to sell me the pre-cut acrylic and I can assemble it?

I'm looking for something like, 42x15x16. Should include two round filter sock holders. One of the sections should hold 15-20 gallons so that section can be drained for the water changes.

I'm afraid that 42" will not fit through the opening, but 38" should just fit. When I designed the stand, 42" would work, but I added a little more bracing to the back opening, once the stand was built.

My current idea for dimensions is 38x18x16. But something ready to go, would be nice.

I got real close to those dimensions. My sump is 40x18x16. 3 compartment sump.

1st chamber with 2 filter socks is ~13x18, then three baffles, then the return section of ~13.5x18 and the fuge which is also ~13.5x18 (14g).

I'll post some pictures after this post.

How about $150?

No chips, cracks or leaks. Solid tank. I've had it for 12-15 months and I think the guy before me had it for 6 months or so.

I'm looking at swapping the sumps next week. I'll clean it and have it ready for you after that.

I'll get a piece of card board to make sure it will fit though the opening in my stand. If I angle it just right I think 40x18 will make it throughout the back.

Is the filter sock section big enough for a protein skimmer? The drain bulkheads are nice, one less thing for me to do.

How think is the acrylic?

I can measure the thickness, but with the eurobrace and tank level, it shouldn't be much of a problem. No bowing at all.

How big is the skimmer? I see that the drain section picture didn't show up. I'll repost it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is the guy I used http://www.windridercreations.com/aqua-filters.

I saved a some and built it myself, but he can build them, he also has a sell going on till the 15th.

Make Me An Offer On Anything!

I may not be able to accept it, but I will do my best to give everyone exceptional deals!
Please don't waste my time with ridiculous offers!
Please be Reasonable!
This only lasts until Aug 15 at Midnight!

Archived