I just changed out a 30 gallon refugium with a four chamber, 120 gallon one that may have changed my reef for the better I believe. The added water capacity has changed b-monthly water changes into a quarterly affair.

1st stage (30 gallons) is bioBalls, second stage (30 gallons is mud and plants, third stage is coral pieces (30 gallon section of 1/4" to 3" ) and final stage is return (30) and protein skimmer which is almost not even needed anymore. I have a mesh filter at the very end sandwiched between an inch gap of acrylics. If you have room and can afford to have one made this is a panacea of the tank world. I bought mine from a good friend who has three tanks and no room for this currently. I am using a Iwaki external pump around 1100 gallons a hour with a tank skimmer. Really needs three flexible outputs since there is a good degree of back pressure. I just got tired of wasting money on toy heaters, skimmers, UV lights, etc and stepped up to what is really overkill, but we go out of town a lot and I needed a sump that would hold the overflow if the electricity went out. I am told you can get by around 6 hours on powerbeads alone so this is an Ok safety measure in my opinion. Enough time to get someone over and save the day. I hope. Still need to clean up some piping and wires, but its running good.

The protein skimmer is a Precision Marine , 900 gallon an hour pump which is a semi-commercial looking gadget. Well built in Texas by skilled craftsmen. I like the skimmer is has a huge cup and drain and creates a massive amount of bubbles with good controls. I added a quart of bio bugs just to charge the coral pieces back up they were in storage for a while. I put about 35 pounds of mud and about 20 lbs of that was running in my other refugium. I had some left over plants I threw in as well. I am using BuildMyLED lights (3) 24" , 30 degree lights on the tank and a 30" florescent light with a BuildMYLED 12" growth light as well. The plants should go nuts in this section there is a lot of space for them

post-3592-0-89473400-1395945678_thumb.jp

post-3592-0-61978600-1395945703_thumb.jp

post-3592-0-97317300-1395945740_thumb.jp

post-3592-0-39762100-1395945801_thumb.jp

post-3592-0-32724600-1395945823_thumb.jp

I just changed out a 30 gallon refugium with a four chamber, 120 gallon one that may have changed my reef for the better I believe. The added water capacity has changed b-monthly water changes into a quarterly affair.

1st stage (30 gallons) is bioBalls, second stage (30 gallons is mud and plants, third stage is coral pieces (30 gallon section of 1/4" to 3" ) and final stage is return (30) and protein skimmer which is almost not even needed anymore. I have a mesh filter at the very end sandwiched between an inch gap of acrylics. If you have room and can afford to have one made this is a panacea of the tank world. I bought mine from a good friend who has three tanks and no room for this currently. I am using a Iwaki external pump around 1100 gallons a hour with a tank skimmer. Really needs three flexible outputs since there is a good degree of back pressure. I just got tired of wasting money on toy heaters, skimmers, UV lights, etc and stepped up to what is really overkill, but we go out of town a lot and I needed a sump that would hold the overflow if the electricity went out. I am told you can get by around 6 hours on powerbeads alone so this is an Ok safety measure in my opinion. Enough time to get someone over and save the day. I hope. Still need to clean up some piping and wires, but its running good.

The protein skimmer is a Precision Marine , 900 gallon an hour pump which is a semi-commercial looking gadget. Well built in Texas by skilled craftsmen. I like the skimmer is has a huge cup and drain and creates a massive amount of bubbles with good controls. I added a quart of bio bugs just to charge the coral pieces back up they were in storage for a while. I put about 35 pounds of mud and about 20 lbs of that was running in my other refugium. I had some left over plants I threw in as well. I am using BuildMyLED lights (3) 24" , 30 degree lights on the tank and a 30" florescent light with a BuildMYLED 12" growth light as well. The plants should go nuts in this section there is a lot of space for them

I just signed up as a member. I joined as a non-member 8 months ago, but my tank had issues and I had to resolve them. I'm back! same tank new FUG!!

Archived