Fresh Water Tanks

jsr

In addition to my SW tank, I have a 29g FW upstairs. I came home today and noticed the water was cloudy. I also noticed a dead fish (hence the cloudy water) so I decided to change half the water. When I was moving some of the rocks, I noticed the crawdad had died as well. I have no idea what caused the two fish to die. There are no other fish in the tank. So now, I am going to take everything out and clean it really good. My question is this; do those who have FW tanks use RO/DI for the water? I assume this is okay, but want to make sure. Oh yeah, the tank has been running for about 2 months without any problems.

clean water is clean water. rodi will not hurt the tank. but its kinda scary that the crawfish died. they are dirty water creaturees, they are the ones that normally live in rivers and whatnot when other stuff cant survive!!

good luck with your tank.

I've always just used tap with dechlor on my freshwater tanks. The only time I've used RO/DI water was when I needed to lower my ph.

My guess is when the crawdad died, it caused an ammonia spike that killed the other fish. Also, your tank, even for a freshwater tank, is relatively new. Do some water changes, maybe run some carbon, and give it some time.

Edited by Beretta

I agree on the ammonia spike. How long do crawdads live? This thread brought up memories of when I was little and my brothers and I used to go 'fishing' for crawdads.. down at the 'river' ... (Picture three kids in the sewers in KS chasing after crawdads)

LOL

I had fw for years and didnt use r/o. Never had a problem.