Good First Fish...?

nuxx

Hey guys,

Looking to add some fish into QT.

Curious if you think Pajama Cardinals and a Tomini Tang would be good first additions to my new tank.

Little worried about the Tomini, because I want to add a Chevron down the line. Would first, if my wife didn't care lol

Do you think I have enough space to add the Chevron down the line and have it and the Tomini get along?

When the Chevron would go in, there would be established Tomini, Yellow, Black, Purple and Yellow Bellied Blue Tangs in there.

Thanks smile.png

They should be fine in that size tank. I believe it's best to either add them all at once or add them in order of least to most aggressive. It's such a big tank, I don't really know if it would matter with that group though. Add the purple last would be my recommendation.

In a 470g tank?

Aside from the heft price tag on the Chevron and Black Tangs, I don't think you'll have problems. The question is, are you willing to take the risk? Yellow, Black and Purple are all Zebrasoma and known to fight with members of the same family. Chevron and Tomini are both Ctenochaetus.

Black, Purple and Yellow all going in at the same time.

My wife is very hesitant of me spending $200-250 on a fish for a brand new tank. Makes sense...

Black, Yellow and Purple are going in probably 3-4 months after this first batch of fish are in the tank and out of QT. Have some existing fish I want to move over and the Yellow is one of them. Wanted to get test the tank out before putting fish I've had for year in there.

The Tomini is probably the most laid back tang I could think of.

Of the tangs you have listed, I think the Regal should go in first. It's the most likely to be bullied. The Purple is the most aggressive and then the Tomini, aka Flame Back Tang. The Yellow and Chevron are close to the bottom of the aggressive pool and can probably go in first with the Black.

Other least aggressive tangs would be your Convict, Sailfin and Desjardini. The Naso isn't too bad but they can inflict serious damage with their spike.

The experience I've had with Tangs is that they don't eat Nori immediately. I see them grazing on rock for the first few days to a week. Getting them to feed from a clip normally takes a month or more. When introducing new fish, I tie fresh Ulva to a rock for the first few days and later start replacing it with Nori. Just my experience though.

Thanks Sascha smile.png

I forgot to add Achilles and Sohal to the list since they are WAAAAY at the end of stockings.

I'm back and forth with the Sohal as well. From talking to tons of people that have kepts many Sohals over the years, they say it just comes down to the first.

The Blue actually holds it's own against the Yellow. smile.png

Oh yeah, I've always had luck with nori rubberbanded on a piece of rubble. QTed a Purple and YB Blue like that. Picked it up right away.

"Oh yeah, I've always had luck with nori rubberbanded on a piece of rubble. QTed a Purple and YB Blue like that. Picked it up right away."

My PB and Achilles started eating Nori within 2 hours of me using this method.... After a few days I moved it to a clip at the bottom of the glass and then after a week to the middle and top of the glass... Works great.

Just ordered my first fish for the new tank from Diver's Den.

Trio of Pajama Cardinals and a Tomini Tang.

Hopefully the Tomini will be laid back to accept the Chevron down the line...

Sohol, Purple and Clown tangs are at the very top of the aggression list for tangs. My count may be off but I counted 8 tangs below with four of them known for aggression. It's up to you, but it's something to think about.

Yellow

Black

Purple

Chevron

Tomini

Regal

Sohol

Achilles

Sohol, Purple and Clown tangs are at the very top of the aggression list for tangs. My count may be off but I counted 8 tangs below with four of them known for aggression. It's up to you, but it's something to think about.

Yellow

Black

Purple

Chevron

Tomini

Regal

Sohol

Achilles

Thinking of ditching the Sohal... might try 2-3 different Acan. Tangs including the Achilles.

Hopefully there will be enough space for the tangs...

Up to you. I would feel bad if I didn't at least mention it so you don't get blindsided. I wish you all the luck in the world with whatever you decide.

Personally, if I had a tank big enough for a Sohol Tang then it might be on top of my list. I think they are absolutely fantastic, but my 150g isn't big enough IMO.

Up to you. I would feel bad if I didn't at least mention it so you don't get blindsided. I wish you all the luck in the world with whatever you decide.

Believe me, I have thought way too much about fish choices...

Here is my 40 gallon breeder I just setup for QT. Have two exact setups like this, and a 55 for larger fish and a 20 long for a hospital tank.

40 has a Marineland HOB Filter with pads that soaked in my old tank, Rio HOB skimmer, Modded MaxiJet 1200, Eheim Jager heater, few pieces of live rock and PVC and a cheap Lowes clip on LED light.

post-2170-0-94911800-1393971500_thumb.jp

Just got the fish into quarantine.

Once again great looking specimens from Diver's Den!

Don't have any pictures yet. Running the tank with the lights off and the Tomini is very shy.

I did spy on him a bit and saw him picking at the live rock I have in the tank. Also picking at all sorts of things on the bottom of the tank... not even sure there was anything there... got him to be a grazer of after cycle algae, looks like a good candidate for the job smile.png

I put in a piece of nori on a piece of rubble, hopefully he'll go after that soon.

Do you think I should try to feed the Pajama Cardinals tonight? Maybe just try a bit of Cyclopeeze and Mysis with some Selcon in it?

post-2170-0-64102300-1394049321_thumb.jp

You're going to QT fish that were already quarantined?

Better safe than sorry, but the draw to Diver's Den is that they are already quarantined and WYSIWYG.

Yeah I trust myself more than I trust them smile.png

Planning on having a pretty expensive stock list, would hate to lose everything because I skipped a simple step sad.png

I call that the "I'm fighting with my own reflection" move. He looks fine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

That's Ty smile.png

Still going to treat with Prazipro today. Planned on doing that to all fish that go into QT anyway. Not a harsh med, does more good than bad. Probably do a 3 week treatment, then the last week just let them have off of their meds before going into the DT smile.png

Had good success with prazipro myself. Not very harsh at all. Found that a freshwater dip is a good start to all fish being QTed. It stresses out the dipper more than the fish really. Just match pH and temp first.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

LOL yeah I had to do a freshwater dip on a trigger a few years back... felt really bad.

I've used Prazi before, actually had a sealed bottle laying around.

Just put in the first batch today. It's only 1 dose per 7 days right? Can't really remember.

Turned the little HOB skimmer down to just run as a filter for the first 3 days of Prazi. After that I'll turn it back up.