Cleaning a Skimmer

Manny

Ok guys so I just got a new skimmer (used) and it definitely needs a good cleaning. The salt creep on it is pretty tough. What is the best way to get this stuff off? At the moment, I have the skimmer sitting inside a bucket with water and a quart of vinegar. Any suggestions?

JeeperTy, I thought about it last night and said to myself, "Why am I even cleaning this if its going to get dirty all over again?". Well the answer is, it's and OCD thing of mine. I spent over an hour with the edge of a paint scraper last night going through the crevices on the top and bottom molding and on the pump. I don't know what but I just cant start off my new build with a dirty skimmer even though I know what it will eventually look like all over again. Weird huh? Once it gets dirty again, I am cool with it. I just don't understand why I need it to be clean to start with.

My skimmer, a coralife, always cleans up like new with just a paper towel and warm water. That is the collection cup of course. When I add water to my sump as it gets low, I always pour the pure water obverse the skimmer a bit to clean it off. Works fairly well.