Calibrated Thermometer

Richard L

During my last tank crash I purchased a cheapo digital thermometer at a LFS which read 4 degrees higher than both my Apex's temperature probes. I didn't know what to believe so I purchased a laboratory calibrated thermometer which finally arrived. I found out that the Apex probes were reading a full 2 degrees cooler and the cheapo digital was 1.8 degrees warmer! So my tank was much more toasty than I thought.

Its a simple mercury thermometer with a range of 68 to 80 degrees. It's hyper sensitive so you get an instant reading. I've also recalibrated my air conditioning thermostats.

PM me if you would like to borrow it. If you can throw in a frag that would be great but not necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for letting my borrow your lab themometer! I tested my digital thermometer option on my TDS meter, a cheap glass hydrometer/thermometer, cheap glass thermometer and the temp probe for a RK Elite. Interestingly while the mercury thermometer is not easy to read it was the fastest to respond. The demarkations on the cheap glass hydrometer and cheap glass thermometer were close enough together I could easily be off by 1/2 a degree reading them but they respond to changes pretty quick and are close to the mercury. The probe for the RK Elite was low by 6/10ths. The accuracy of the temp. option on the TDS meter depends on how patient I am, after 15 seconds it can be over a degree off but if I give it 2 minutes to settle in it's the same as the mercury thermometer.