WTB - Complete Saltwater System

mraeric

Hey all!

I've been interested in and reading about reef tanks for several years now, and for about the last month have been skimming craigslist and the forums here for a great deal on a (relatively) complete system. I'm definitely ready to take the plunge and get started on one, and just wanted to put a feeler out here to see if anyone had something they were looking to get rid of for an, admittedly, low price.

As far as specifications? I'm interested in almost anything. 14g Biocube and stand? Sure! 75 gallon with stand and sump? Heck yeah! My house will only allow for tanks that are no wider than 48", but beyond that, I'm fairly open to potential ideas. My dream system? ~75 gallons drilled with sump and protein skimmer.

I'm going to enjoy stocking the tank extremely slowly and avoiding as many mistakes as I can. I know it can be an expensive hobby but I'm attempting to do it as economically as possible. I'm hoping there is someone out there that is in a situation that they can afford to let a system go for a lower price to another enthusiast who promises to really take care of the equipment and livestock that is eventually added to it. My son is almost 2 years old and I think it would be an amazing activity for us to do together as he grows up, as well as an awesome learning opportunity.

Anyway, I will continue keeping my eyes peeled on the Want to Sell forums as well as Craigslist and hopefully will find that golden deal that is mindblowingly amazing. I saw a complete biocube system up for grabs for like $50 bucks on here a while ago and was so upset I missed the posting by about a day and a half! haha. Thank you all for reading this far!

-Eric

Haha... Absolutely! Well.. and that space will allow. 48" width is my limit. Othewise, I agree with you! I would have more peace of mind knowing I had the extra water volume to help offset any minor changes to water chemistry.

I agree with victoly. If you want a 48" tank, don't get a biocube. If you do, a few months from now you'll be looking for a 30" tank to put next to it and trying to figure out a way to plumb the two systems together :).

I think you can follow to "complete systems" thread and get emailed when one pops up. the good deals usually get pounced on quick.

I agree with victoly. If you want a 48" tank, don't get a biocube. If you do, a few months from now you'll be looking for a 30" tank to put next to it and trying to figure out a way to plumb the two systems together smile.png.

I think you can follow to "complete systems" thread and get emailed when one pops up. the good deals usually get pounced on quick.

Good points. I hadn't looked at it from that angle. I didn't know you could follow a forum like that! I will certainly do that. I've noticed that the great deals do get picked up quickly, rightfully so! Thank you very much both of y'all for the advice.

If the 48 is the limiting factor go for a 120 (48X24X24) or 90 (48X24X18). The above is good advice, get as big as you can afford and fit in your space. You will want larger, we all do. tongue.png

TIP: Set up your site preferences to send you a mail when posts are created in the "Complete Systems" sub-forum, and you will get notified when folks here list systems.

haha, didn't see you posted that too. LOL Great minds think alike.

Archived