ARC 2014 College Scholarship Applications

Following up on the topic I introduced last year, the Austin Reef Club will be awarding (2) $250 scholarships to local high school students. Applicants should have a focus on pursuing the study of marine sciences at an accredited college or university and be graduating at the end of the Spring 2014 semester. The application is straightforward, requiring basic information and a 500 word essay on the applicant's career interests and goals in marine studies.

That's where I could use your help. If you have a contact with your local high school that you feel could help us get the word out to potential applicants I would appreciate you PM'ing me with their info or getting them a copy of the attached application. This could be science teachers, guidance counselors, administrators, etc. Home-schooled applicants will be accepted.

Applications should be submitted no later than midnight Friday April 18th, 2014. Winners will be announced at this year's C4.

ARC Scholarship Form.pdf

• 1 month later...

A few updates to the scholarships in addition to reminding everyone that the deadline is midnight Friday April 18th, 2014.

As you may know, we recently lost fellow member Tim Huynh (wizardx322) to his ongoing fight with cancer. After discussing it with the staff and many members, I feel that Tim exemplified the many characteristics that we wish for this club and its members to aspire to. In light of his many efforts and connections to the club, our scholarships will now be called the ARC Tim Huynh Memorial Scholarship. Upon hearing of Tim's death and our effort to recognize him, some of our sponsors have offered to contribute to increase the amount of the scholarships. The new award amounts (and winners) will be announced at C4, so PLEASE be sure to get your applications in or let students you feel would be interested know. We have not had many applications so far and we would really like to award the scholarships.

To that effect, we will be opening the application process to college students attending school within Texas (must have been accepted to attend a college in Texas for the 2014 Fall Semester). Local-area high school students will remain our primary focus, but if we do not receive at least 10 applicants we will open consideration to other applications that we receive.

The application form is in the original post.

Is it still limited to students who are interested in marine studies, or has that been changed to those attending school in Texas? Thanks!

Yes, applicants must still be majoring in a marine-studies related field.

Archived