Aquaclear Refugium Sizing for 10g Tank

Planeden

Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting a HOB filter to filter and have a fuge on a 10g tank. Aquaclear seems to be the filter of choice for this, but I'm unsure of the size to get. It seems to be a trade off of power vs. size. The aquaclear 20 has 100 gph flowrate, which is probably enough with my powerhead(s), but seems to be small for a fuge. But getting bigger gets a lot of flow for a 10g.

What have people done before?

Side note, HOB refugiums are super expensive, but have flow rates in the 5 gph range. is a slower flow that much more helpful? they seem to be air stone driven. which has me pondering just pulling the pump out of the filter and putting an airstone in the intake tube to get flow. although, looking at the design of the HOB, i don't think this will work because the water level in the filter is lower than the top of the intake tube bend.

Thanks

thanks for the input.

I think from previous reading about converting that you can clip one or more of the "blades" on the impeller to reduce flow.

I use a CPR HOB refugium on my 55gal that is powered by a MaxiJet 900.

MaxJet 900 in a 10g may a bit overkill. perhaps the smaller version of the CPR with a MaxiJet 400 (100gph powerhead) would be pretty good. but it has me wondering how easy it would be to build this. probably not as easy it it looks because of the intake/outtake tubes. i'll have to look into the blades thing to reduce flow. wonder if there'd be a problem to put it on a dimmer and just cut the power down?

I would probably go for an AC70 just because there's so much more room than the 20. InTank makes some pretty cool media baskets for them, not super cheap though.

cool. AC70 was about what i was thinking. when it comes that media basket, though...filter is $50, media basket is $50....the small CPR fuge is $135. it seems to make more sense to me to spend the extra $35 for 3 or more times the volume.

thanks again guys. i appreciate the input.

The AC will have much better mechanical filtration

good point. sounds like i'll start with an AC70 (since my filter died this afternoon, i'd rather not wait, is another reason) and see how it does unmodified or with some of my plastic mesh.

What is your purpose of getting the fuge?

I prefer a HOB "overflow filter" on my QT because between it filled with live rock and some macro in the tank I barely have to do any more than regular 20% water changes (though I do have to buffer).

I have been using this set-up for awhile and I do notice a pod or two here and there (I recycle my used DT water to my QT) but because I also medicate from time to time I don't think they thrive.

I would imagine an oversized HOB style freshwater filter would provide pod fuge, nurtient export, and added flow at a much cheaper price point than a HOB refugium (though I admit they don't provide for skimmer space); I've often thought about using one on my 29 tall.

I ended up buying an aquaclear 70 last night and turning the flow all the way down.

@nvrEnuf. I've been using this as a QT, but I have a rock and 1" of substrate in it. I've never medicated in it. It is full of pods because there aren't any preditors in it. But I plan on retiring it as a QT in the next month or so and keeping it as a little office tank (after my last expected coral editions in my main tank). I had a little HOB filter that came with the kit, but yesterday I shut it off and it wouldn't kick back on.

So, I suppose the answer to your question is sort of a combination filter/fuge. I had the little balls from an eheim canister filter in my old one and just added those to the aquaclear last night. I wanted to put mud in it, but the way the water flows, I don't think that'll work. So I'll add some more filter media on top of what's there and probably a little chaeto. I also have macro in the tank, so I think it'll mostly be in there for pods to hide in and feed on (I guess they eat something that may stick to it) while pulling out some nitrate and phosphate. I'm not getting a mandarin or anything, but I figure whatever fish I put in may appreciate a pod morsel now and again.

Thanks for the input guys.

I run an AC70 on my little 3gal pico and I love it. Lots of room back there and you just pull the intake tube off of it's base until you get the flow however strong or weak you want. Good choice!

I run an AC70 on my little 3gal pico and I love it. Lots of room back there and you just pull the intake tube off of it's base until you get the flow however strong or weak you want. Good choice!

So, I can lift the tube off the bottom and reduce the flow more? Right now I just have it slid over as far as it'll go. I'll see how it oes or a few days that way. But it'll be good to ave options. Until a cat jumps up there and moves it.

Archived