Question concerning premixing salt

Wade

I was reading this old thread (http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/28455-red-sea-coral-pro-stats/?hl=%2Bsalt+%2Bmix#entry216499) and am concerned about something that was brought up here that I've not heard before. It's mentioned above that you should only mix your salt water for a maximum of 4 hours before use. Is this only for the RSCP mix or is this all mixes? Reason I ask is I usually mix my salt water way ahead of time and keep it in a 55 gallon drum. I have a timer set to turn on a circulating pump for an hour four times a day to keep it mixed up, but it may be a week or two before I use it. I have noticed some sediment in the bottom of the drum and have wondered about what it is. Is this a bad practice to mix and store the water for later use?

I've used water after 30 minutes of mixing and days of mixing. Shorter mixing seems to result in less precipitate. Seems to be a temperature related issue. My mixing bucket gets very warm vs the tank water

• Like 2

I've used water after 30 minutes of mixing and days of mixing. Shorter mixing seems to result in less precipitate. Seems to be a temperature related issue. My mixing bucket gets very warm vs the tank water

Agreed! And if I mix in the garage in the summer, wow! When that happens I give my Brute a quick vinegar soak and scrub to clean it out.

I don't know if it's all salts but I tried mixing for 15 min or until salt was dissolved on rscp and fluval salt. Doing so resulted in as advertised readings or higher. I thought I had a bad batch of rscp because my calcium was 380. I emailed them and they said don't mix very long and sent me a link to their video.

I routinely keep 100+ gallons of saltwater on hand. It might be used in a week, or a month. As long as you have a circulating pump in the container it will stay fresh. I use IO and rodi, and I've never had an issue with mixing way ahead of time.

• Like 1

Just hopping on board with the no issues with long pre mixing. I have a 55g trash can with a pump and heater in it. It normally takes me a few days after making it to do the changes.

And before anyone speaks up, I am talking about when I do my bi-annual water changes ;)

• Like 1