What Is This?

Manny

Not sure if you guys can actually see this or not on the picture but I do not know what it is. Its very bubbly and I was actually able to blow it off with a turkey baster. Some of the sand underneath the rock its on is also turning red.

Cyano algae. Usually a product of excess nutrients and lack of flow. Looks like you have some other algae there too. What is your set up, stocking, feeding, GFO, etc.?

My set up consist of 29 gallon aquarium, wp20 PH (high flow), 28lbs live rock, 1 black ocellaris, 1 true percula, 1 royal gramma, 1 banded goby, all of these fish are still small, about 7 hermits, 1 emerald crab, no GFO/carbon yet.I feed pellets twice a day (approximately 12 pellets each time) and once every three days I will feed mysis shrimp instead of the second pellet feeding. I do water changes every Saturday. Nitrites are below 10 ppm, Ca 430 ppm, Alk 10.6 dKH, Mg 1240 ppm.

Do you test for phosphates?

Algae blooms are a normal part of the aging process of a tank, how old is yours? You definitely want to get on top of it if this is the first cyano you've seen. GFO can help address excess phosphates while some kind of red slime remover can get rid of it while you address the root issue.

I agree with most of the above: looks like cyano, and check phosphates.

Something I'll add is that I've found cyano does not like high flow. Won't say it is a cure-all but is the affected spot in a lower flow spot? If so, point a power head at it for a few days.

Oh, do you use RODI for water changes and top-off?

Yep I only use RODI water in my aquarium.

Something I'll add is that I've found cyano does not like high flow. Won't say it is a cure-all but is the affected spot in a lower flow spot? If so, point a power head at it for a few days.

That red spot was actually in a high flow area of my tank.

Do you test for phosphates?

Algae blooms are a normal part of the aging process of a tank, how old is yours? You definitely want to get on top of it if this is the first cyano you've seen. GFO can help address excess phosphates while some kind of red slime remover can get rid of it while you address the root issue.

No I have not started yet testing for phosphates. I figured I should be fine with my once a week 5 gallon water change on this 29 gallon setup. This month I will be getting my ATO. Acutally ordering tomorrow. Currently I have been manually topping off. SO I guess next month I will purchase a BRS dual reactor: carbon/GFO. I am trying to buy one piece of equipment every month. Price really doesn't matter as long as I only do one a month.

I will also say that I do not believe I have a low flow area in the tank. Even if I try hiding my mushrooms between rocks, I can still see them trying to blow away from where they are attached. I need to figure out how to create a low flow area for my pulsing xenia though. It has not been pulsing the way it should and I am most certain it is because of the flow. Ill figure something out. Quite frankly, I think the wp20 is slight overkill for my tank, even on the lowest setting. THanks for the advice everyone.

Agreed with the others. Cyano. Just part of the process. Harmless just keep removing it with water changes and eventually it'll pass in time. A gfo reactor will speed that up but won't remove it overnight. You know I run gfo and change it regularly and have massive amounts of flow and i still get a little cyano here and there. I don't think you suffer from lack of flow your tank has a pretty good wave when I've seen it. Just suffers from youth is all.

also going dark for a few days does wonders for cyano reduction.

Well that little spot was actually the only spot in my entire tank that had that. I was, more than anything, curious as to know what it was. I appreciate all of your help.

Most likely. It typically has a dusty appearance at first on the sandbed but it can get fairly thick. I would suspect PO4 being the problem but as stated by others there's a number of factors that can contribute to it. Even old or poor spectrum light bulbs can make a tank more susceptible to it.

I've seen it in high and low flow areas. It prefers lower, but if the nutrient and lighting conditions are good for cyano it will grow in high flow as well.

I am starting to see certain spots on the sand bed turn red. I wonder if this is cyano as well?

i think i learned something as mine was maturing. it seems that as the cyano cleared up it was replaced by diatoms on the same spots in the sandbed. looked the same to me except it wouldn't start getting stringy and gross. i used a cyano product a couple of times and was disappointed it was not working. then i took a picture to the store and got a conch. he is making quick work of it. so, maybe this is normal, maybe not.

Archived