black slug??

JoseZ

Elephant snail. Beneficial algae eater, and harmless to your corals and fish. Nocturnal, won't hurt a thing in your tank (besides eating your algae). If you have ever bought coral from me that's probably where you got it from, I have dozens of them.

Yeah they are cool. I tossed a couple in my tank years ago and rarely see them unless I'm checking the tank with a flashlight in the middle of the night. They startle me each time I happen upon them.

Pretty much how it happened last night

If anyone that has some wants to sell some PM me.... I am definitely interested.

If he pops up somewhere where I can easily catch him you can have him. From what I've read chances are there's more in there.

Mine started eating the bases of my valida acros and birdsnests. They've all been cast to the sump now.

I'm curiuos how old your colonies are and how much they've grown? Many of my colonies at some point start having dieoff around the base from lack of light and algae starts growing on the old dead skeleton. In my tanks I would expect to see algae eaters going to lunch on the old skeleton on older colonies.

These weren't super old. I figured they might just be going after some unhealthy tissue but saw one of the larger ones right at the base where it was encrusting to the rock. Looked really close at other SPS and several had the same lack of tissue. It may have just been that big one started munching on them, but I put them all in the sump and the corals mostly recovered.

These weren't super old. I figured they might just be going after some unhealthy tissue but saw one of the larger ones right at the base where it was encrusting to the rock. Looked really close at other SPS and several had the same lack of tissue. It may have just been that big one started munching on them, but I put them all in the sump and the corals mostly recovered.

Thank s, good to know your experiences for future refference.

Jestep, if you don't want to keep them in your sump, I would be interested in some. I don't have acros so I could try them in my DT. PM me if you decide to rehome a few and we can work something out.

Archived