I2C signal problems. Need hands on help please!

Clark

Didn't know this going in but the Arduino board doesn't pump out enough strength on the I2C bus to send the signal much more than a few inches over clean wire. I'd like to drive an I2C display that connects via 3ft of ethernet cable (and a breakout board/jack on either end). When I use the CAT6 cable, the display corrupts after a few minutes and eventually the I2C bus will hang the Arduino!

Read online about adding resistors and capacitors to sharpen the signal edges to increase the signal range but I have no scope to verify the results. And I've never manipulated signal edges like this so it would likely take me several evenings of guesswork if I can solve it all. I need to minimize how long the system is taken offline since it is responsible for temperature control in my tank.

I'd really appreciate some experienced help with this. I can bring the system to your bench if I have to. Does anyone have some time, please, to take a look at my circuitry?

Thanks very much

Clark

I don't know that much about I2C really; I just learned about a few weeks ago. Pullups might be quite common. I think it was just bad luck on my part that the first tutorials I found on the web all dealt with small distances so none mentioned pullups, and a few problem threads I saw got crazy with multiple factors. And I was tired :) Once I finally found some better-written layman docs, it became straightforward.

I hope to post some pics and info in the DIY section over turkey holiday.

Archived