Corals lighter after water change

Jpowell490

Hey all,

I will do an introduction a bit later as I am new to the forum, but I have a question.

I need a little input here.
I normally use RSCP and Aquavitro Salinity in my water changes. Well, last night I decided to use some Reef Crystals. Did a 10 gallon change on a 60 gallon tank. My normal, once a week. Use RO/DI water with 001 TDS reading.
Salinity (35ppt) and Temp are all the same. Looked at the tank this morning and had a piece of my Acro Secate that looked purple on the ends and bleached in the middle. Just one little stalk.
Some of my other corals looked "lighter" in color as well.
Any thoughts on what could have caused this? Nothing at all changed and here are my parameters
Temp: 79.8
Salinity: 35 ppt
Ammonia: 0
KH: 11
Calcium: 400
Nitrates: 0-5
PH: 8.05
Phosphates: 0
Mag - No idea
Nothing looks terrible, but there was definitely a change. Wondering if it was for the better or worse?

Mixing up another 10 gallons of RSCP. Never using Reef Crystals again.

If that is your thing and you use it, great. I have never had much luck out of it myself. I guess using Salinity and RSCP have spoiled me lol.

Worst salt I have ever used was TM Bio Actif.....

Hi KimP,

Yes, it wasn't a lot, I just pay extreme attention to the tank every day and noticed quite the difference this morning.

I just finished another water change with RSCP. Have had great luck out of that and Aquavitro Salinity salts.

Will post a few pics in the reef keeping forum.

Welcome to the club! Usually I see partial bleaching as a result of either lighting or temp but that seems to be ruled out in this case. Here's two research articles that at least will waste some time reading:

Effects of cold and heat stress http://www.nature.com/srep/2013/130312/srep01421/full/srep01421.html

Corals experience shapes susceptibility to bleaching http://www.mendeley.com/catalog/experience-shapes-susceptibility-reef-coral-bleaching

• Like 1