Asterina stars needed

Jpowell490

go pick up a choc chip starfish, and toss half of him in the tank. If it's a small enough choc chip star, they'll flip him over and go to town. If it's too big, it'll run rampant in the tank. I have a small isolation container that hangs on the side of my tank. I keep a choc chip star in there, and just cut off bits as needed to feed them.

go pick up a choc chip starfish, and toss half of him in the tank.  If it's a small enough choc chip star, they'll flip him over and go to town.  If it's too big, it'll run rampant in the tank. I have a small isolation container that hangs on the side of my tank.  I keep a choc chip star in there, and just cut off bits as needed to feed them.  

I find it so odd that people do this but turn around and bash fish cycles. But it works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hey All,

Does anyone know if I can purchase these little nuisances in bulk? I have a mated pair of very hungry Harlequin lovers.

Thanks,

Jpowell490

Since you're in Tennessee I can't recommend any place local. However, if you're looking for asterina stars then I would buy some grunge from www.garf.org

I bought five pounds from them in 2005 and within two weeks I had around 1,000 asterina stars. I used it as a base for my refugium and they made their way into my display in no time. I might also suggest setting up a display refugium to breed them and feeding the tank weekly.

go pick up a choc chip starfish, and toss half of him in the tank. If it's a small enough choc chip star, they'll flip him over and go to town. If it's too big, it'll run rampant in the tank. I have a small isolation container that hangs on the side of my tank. I keep a choc chip star in there, and just cut off bits as needed to feed them.

I find it so odd that people do this but turn around and bash fish cycles. But it works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I offered it pizza and beer but no dice :/

• Like 1

I don't want to put a huge star in there for it to cloud up the tank. I like the small ones as they can eat those and go on. The pair wiped out about 200 of them in a matter of weeks.

I have a couple of more tanks upstairs with some stars in there, but I would like to find a good supply of them. Thanks for all the suggestions.