SAPROLEGNIA on saltwater molly

Lorien

No i don't think transitioning back to freshwater would help as this is primarily a fresh water deasise. But after ascertaining this is actually SAPROLEGNIA, remove fish to a hospital tank and use a solution of phenoxethol at 1% in distilled water. Add 10 ml of this solution per liter of aquarium water. Repeat after a few days if needed, but only once more as three treatments could be dangerous to the fish. If the symptoms are severe the fish can be removed from the hospital aquarium and swabbed with a cloth that has been treated with small amounts of povidone iodine or mercurochrome.

Im addition make sure your hospital and display aquariums stay below 80 F as this is the temperature that it begins to thrive in. Make sure you have plenty of flow and practice good reef keeping maintanence to reduce decaying detritus.

Visible symptoms are white or gray patches of filamentous threads that grow from an infected fish's body. It is characterized by an external, cotton-like appearance that radiates out in a circular, crescent-shaped or whorled pattern. Infestation generally begins on the head or fins and can spread over the entire surface of the body.

If the patches on your infected fish appear gray, treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic, as this is indicative of a bacterial presence.

If the patches are white and cotton like threads starting from the face or fins then most likely a fungus, however if the patches are gray in color that would be more likely a bacteria infection and the treatment is indeed very different. For this there are several different antibiotics which could be used. But beaware that some broad spectrum antibiotics in the reef aquarium can be dangerous to various marine life.

Here is a site you may find very helpful for identification of desease and proper treatment. Its a bit of a read but has lots of great info. Good luck

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/columnaris.html

Visible symptoms are white or gray patches of filamentous threads that grow from an infected fish's body. It is characterized by an external, cotton-like appearance that radiates out in a circular, crescent-shaped or whorled pattern. Infestation generally begins on the head or fins and can spread over the entire surface of the body.

If the patches on your infected fish appear gray, treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic, as this is indicative of a bacterial presence.

If the patches are white and cotton like threads starting from the face or fins then most likely a fungus, however if the patches are gray in color that would be more likely a bacteria infection and the treatment is indeed very different. For this there are several different antibiotics which could be used. But beaware that some broad spectrum antibiotics in the reef aquarium can be dangerous to various marine life.

Here is a site you may find very helpful for identification of desease and proper treatment. Its a bit of a read but has lots of great info. Good luck

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/columnaris.html

"Unfortunately the above point is missed by many who often cite dirty, stagnant, or otherwise poor water conditions as cause of Columnaris, but since Columnaris is aerobic, it simply cannot thrive in poor water conditions that are low in oxygen as can Aeromonas or Saprolegnia." from above link.

the cure seems obvious. turn off the filter and powerheads to let the water stagnate, get dirty, and kill of the disease :). perhaps even add CO2. ok, this may not actually be the best route.

• Like 1

Ok, I am still going to reread the link again tomorrow, and decide what to do. It seems to me from reading the article, what I have is a genetically weak fish (fancy molly who is pregnant), a bully male who doesn't care about the other three females in the tank (what a jerk). I had some poor water quality a couple days ago when I removed some substrate and replaced it with crushed aragonite, maybe that triggered it? I just changed the filters and added macros as well as a small water change. I don't think water quality is an issue anymore at least. I am going to try restraining the bully to a net container tomorrow and give her a chance. She seems to be fighting it so far.

Thanks for the help, and the great link. I will hang onto it for future reference. Athough, I hope I don't need it.

Lorien