Pink Sponges

KarenM

Value can only be determined by market. Apparently in Austin they might be, but they are still hard to keep. Filter feeders in general require specialized feeding(tons of food) and water flow(a bunch). I like most LFS, but come on $120 for something that may survive and will most not likely not flourish is in my opinion is outrageous.

Well, I must be doing something right because 3 months ago it was a tiny blob the size of a dime. And I have a pale pink one with root things growing out of it. I wasn't sure what they were - Chatfouz told me they were sponges. And they're growing like crazy. The pale pink one isn't that attractive, but the hot pink one is nice.

do they come in blue? I'd really like some blue in my tank.

Yes, they come in blue and deep purple. My blue and pink (in the seahorse tank), they seem to come and go, I'm a happy camper when they show up. Karen, if you ever decide on getting more color, may I suggest getting some drangon's breath---it's a form of algae. It's a beautiful deep burgundy red. I got some from James---aka---Headless_Donkey, and it has grown quite nicely. When I prune some I'll give you a holler!!!!

-Cindy-

Are you growing the DB in your display? My Naso viciously eats it.

I figured that since my Naso and the rest of the crew eats all type algae......they would probably finish it off. I keep it in seahorse tank, so it's pretty safe there. I was wondering whether tangs/rabbitfish would eat it , Im assuming they would.

Mine left it alone for a long time, but my Sailfin finally developed a taste for it once I trimmed it back.

Karen, I have quite a bit of blue "haliclona" sponge. I'd trade 2" of mine for 1" of your hot pink. Looks like this:

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDeta...252&cid=264

and grew from a piece I bought from the old "Austin Aquariums" on the day before the sale cancelled by power outage almost 2 years ago. I feed a lot and it's spreading fairly well.

Karen, I have quite a bit of blue "haliclona" sponge. I'd trade 2" of mine for 1" of your hot pink. Looks like this:

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDeta...252&cid=264

and grew from a piece I bought from the old "Austin Aquariums" on the day before the sale cancelled by power outage almost 2 years ago. I feed a lot and it's spreading fairly well.

Ok, I'll get a pic of my pink one tonight. I've got a cheap camera, but maybe the color will show through. do you frag sponges? If so, how?

I've knocked pieces or pulled them off about 5 times, mostly on accident. I've either pushed the piece into a hole or rubberbanded it to a rock, and it has taken off from there. They need lots of food and flow. And I've noticed they are resistant to stings by anemones. Algae growth on red and orange sponges seems to hurt them some, but I think the answer is not less light but more flow. I haven't seen any algae grow on the blue ones.

Didn't mean to leave you hanging, but I haven't been feeling well and had a lot going on in the evenings. I've actually sold the big one, but I still have a smaller one that it's just as pretty. It's about 2.5"x 2.5". I don't know really how to get a piece of it, other than just cut it off with a knife or something.

Where are you located? I'm in Georgetown, just a little North of the outlet mall in Round Rock.