DIY ATO?

Makena95GT

So I was looking for something I could do to keep my water level from dropping over the weekends, and ran across this:
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/65554-sun-tea-jar-auto-top-off/?hl=sun+tea

To be honest, if I were to try a DIY ATO, I wouldn't want to use electricity, or have to order parts. Because, well, I'm broke lol. figured that since I have quite a bit of airline tubing as well as other tubing, and some containers with good lids, I could probably make something like this for free :)

Comments?

I use a hamster bottle gravity-fed ATO on my pico. Works just fine, unfortunately the bottle is so small I have to fill it twice a week but other than that it's pain-free!

I figure I might be able to get away with something like a milk jug that I can seal air-tight. Or even better, a 2 liter soda bottle! Those are air tight, right? mean, when you shake them p, they get super pressurized and expel no air!

I was tired of my old one pumping water everywhere so I just did a gravity fed. Have a container higher than the sump, ran air hose from hole in bottom of container to a float valve I got for about 5 bucks and put in sump.

I use a hamster bottle gravity-fed ATO on my pico. Works just fine, unfortunately the bottle is so small I have to fill it twice a week but other than that it's pain-free!

Brilliant, been needing one for my pico on my desk at work. Do you just put the end of the valve at the water level?

Brilliant, been needing one for my pico on my desk at work. Do you just put the end of the valve at the water level?

No valve, just tubing (1/2"?) running from the end of the nozzle to the water line in the tank. I was able to yank the metal piece with the ball out of the cap using a pair of pliers, then mounted the tubing onto the cap where the metal piece used to protrude. The tubing hangs down to meet the water line in the tank. The whole thing is mounted to the wall using the cage from the hamster bottle and a couple of eyelet screws.

http://www.petco.com/product/104922/Petco-Water-Bottles-for-Small-Animals.aspx?CoreCat=MM_SmallAnimalSupplies_DishesFeedersWaterers

It's one of these, unfortunately the wire cage is not shown but you can get an idea of the process to set it up. I had the biggest one (which usually lasted 6-7 days) and when I moved this summer it wouldn't fit properly in the new space, so now I have one of the smaller ones and it last about 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for gravity feed ato. The end the tube would be at where you want the water level. When water levels drop below the tip, air enters the container and water drains. Something to keep in mind though. Water jug is too thin, you will want use something with stronger walls.

http://www.petco.com/product/104922/Petco-Water-Bottles-for-Small-Animals.aspx?CoreCat=MM_SmallAnimalSupplies_DishesFeedersWaterers

It's one of these, unfortunately the wire cage is not shown but you can get an idea of the process to set it up.  I had the biggest one (which usually lasted 6-7 days) and when I moved this summer it wouldn't fit properly in the new space, so now I have one of the smaller ones and it last about 3 days.  

This is great. I've been wanting to set up something for my pico!

Archived