Missing fish.

quicc

I have a 70G reef setup that I just started in November. I purchased a Pygmy Angel in the middle on December form a LFS. I have not seen him for few weeks now. :( I do have several other fish that seem to be doing fine. Should I go as far as to move/remove the rocks to find him. (or his remains... :( ) Or should I assume the cleanup cure their job? I have done water test and have not seen any evidence of a spike in ammonia or nitrite. I rater not stress out other fish and create a second causality.

If you move the rocks you risk killing some of the anarobic bacteria. Thus causing a small spike in ammonia. If the fish starts the decompose in your tank the crew does nothing about it you will get a similar spike. How big was the fish? If the fish was big you might want to go hunting. If it was relatively small I would just leave it. Moving the rocks around is stress full on the whole system and should be avoided.

Thank you for the replies. The fish was about 3/4 inch long. I have looked (as best I can) in side the over flow with mirror and light form top and bottom but could not see any fish. Did see more algae or sea weed than I wanted to see :( . Did not think of the sump. Was hoping I could find the little guy there but no luck. I will let it be. Thank you for the advice on not to move the rocks to look for it.